1972 Front Suspension Kit

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by John Vlieger, Nov 4, 2019.

1. John Vlieger

John Vlieger In Second Gear

Hello,

First off, this is my first foray into modifying/repairing my 1972 Ranchero, so please excuse any misunderstandings or using the wrong terms.

I have a '72 Ranchero 500 that originally shipped with the 4.1L engine. It currently has a 1994 5.0L 302 HO for a power plant, with K&N filter, MSD plugs and wires, Flowmaster headers and exhaust.

It was "rebuilt"/built in the mid 90's by my father, and the car was given to me about 13 years ago. I would drive it on weekends occasionally, but it's been sitting in my garage for the last two years.

In it's current config, it's barely driveable. It sits entirely too low for easy driving down my gravel driveway, much less a speed bump. It needs at MINIMUM new coil front springs, a complete set of bushings, and new upper control arm ball joints.

Goals are to make it easily driveable on weekends with the Mrs. and restore it to factory ride height, then tackle the other gigantic list of things I'd like to do to it.

My main question is regarding a kit for the front suspension. I had been operating under the assumption that the 1972 Chero was an independent year when it comes to the front suspension, but browsing this forum it seems that there is cross over of 72-76. Is that true? If so, is there a manufacturer of a relatively drop in kit for the front?

I'm holding off on buying any parts until I have the old stuff torn out and have a better idea of everything it needs, but information would be great on where I can look for replacement parts.

Thank you for all the help!

-John

2. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

3. John Vlieger

Thanks for the link for MOOG. I was already planning on using them for the coil springs. However, I'm also wondering if there are options for complete kits.

Kits like this, for example
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stage-2-56...irated&hash=item3b343901ee:g:CXgAAOSwakxdFpK1

This car is already not "original" by virtue of the engine and other interior mods done to it, so updating the suspension to something more modern is worth looking into, at least.

4. KAB

KAB In Second Gear

If it's post March 72, energy suspension has all of the components. I know the bushing come as a complete kit, not sure about ball joints and such, but they carry them.

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  5. John Vlieger

So, I checked the door sticker this morning. Production date of 03/72. Great. What exactly should I look for to determine what parts it has in it for front suspension? Is it the upper control arm bushings and ball joints?

6. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

7. John Vlieger

Thanks!

I got the entire front suspension pulled out, and am about to order a PST steering linkage kit and suspension bushing kit. I'd LIKE to replace both control arms at the same time, to just start from scratch. I'm having trouble finding upper and lower control arms that are meant to use the bolt in ball joints. Also, I'd LIKE to just use all brand new hardware as well. Any good hardware kits out there for the steering linkage and suspension?

8. LSChero

Not sure where one would find nos control arms.Maybe green sales.Some oe ball joints are riveted to control arm.Replacement ball joint will bolt in once rivets are removed.I prefer Moog parts if I can find em.
    I replaced my ford steering box and rag joint in my 72 and replaced front anti sway bar with larger unit from 79 cougar(1.125).Big improvement!Rebuilt steering box fairly inexpensive if you have this style.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MIgvHL6cT25QIVkR-tBh1TWguEEAQYASABEgK-r_D_BwE

9. Rods N Restos

Rods N Restos In Overdrive

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  10. Rods N Restos

11. John Vlieger

Oh, wow...that second kit might be what I go with. It currently has a set of air bags in the rear, but needs a new compressor unit, and I was never a big fan of the bags anyhow...this might be the solution to the problem. The ride height before I started tearing it down was like 3" above the ground. I don't necessarily want stock ride height, but that is way too low for weekend driving.

I'm going to bookmark this and think about it. How hard are these to install with stock components otherwise?

12. Rods N Restos

The rear is just smooth shocks with dual dampening adjusters,you would either need to fix airbag compressor or replace with coil springs.
    The front is coil- over shock and you simply remove old shock. Remove lower ball joint from spindle then slowly jack up car by frame to take pressure off coil spring then take it out and install assembled coil-over shock

13. John Vlieger

Ah. That makes sense. I'll have to start shopping for a new compressor, or go with coils as well. The rear bushings are all in need of replacement, in any case. Might hold off until I get around to doing the rear end.

14. Rods N Restos

If you need bushings just get these
    http://www.spohn.net/shop/1972-1976-Ford-Torino-Ranchero/Suspension/

The lowers are adjustable length and they have special Del-Sphere ends that you can adjust the tension on the ends to tune the ride.
    I have a set going in our 72 Gram Torino Sport and know several others who have used them.
    Make sure to order the adjustment tool and they sell the Grade 8 bolt kits to replace worn and rusted pivot bolts.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  15. Rods N Restos

If you go with coil springs order Moog springs for wagon as they are stiffer and lift the ass end up higher

16. John Vlieger

17. Rods N Restos

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  18. Jakob Zamora

Jakob Zamora In Second Gear

I like the stance, what exactly are you running on the setup?

19. LSChero

Moog 8320 front springs,OE stock rear springs,KYB frt.and rear shocks,1 1/8 front anti sway bar,3/4 rear bar.Replaced all front and rear bushings and any worn/loose suspension parts.72 weighs in at 3850 with 5.0 which may contribute to level stance some what.Dont go with
    big block front springs unless you have 429/460 motor,You will be riding on upper bump stops!Been there,done that...

20. Rods N Restos

The Viking coil-over shocks I posted are Small Block springs and adjustable ride height.
    Best suspension component you can get for the 72-79 Ranchero