71 Ranchero gas tank

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by TUBBY GREEN, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

If all the angle iron pieces are still there, the intention was to keep the tank from hitting the rear axel in a collision. The whole mess bolted into the back bumper mounts. Pinto era attempt to fix a weak design.

2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I initially thought that too, but 301 didn't go into effect until the mid-70's, and it wasn't until 1970 before Ford, and most other OE's, started testing for rear end collisions in anticipation of this new safety standard; well after the 67-71 Ranchero was designed and built. Could be some engineer thought that part 'might' help in a rear end crash, but, as the Pinto fiasco showed, Ford was more interested in saving $ than lives back then. They weren't alone.

3. Hillbilly

Sean, I wondered about that hung-on contraption myself then asked Dad what it was all about. Notice your tank straps go from side to side instead of front to rear ? Seems that on the test track they bounced some Rancheros hard enough that the fuel tank slid out of the straps forward into the rear axel. Cheapskates figured that the hot-patch angle iron fix was cheaper than designing a proper tank mount. It wasn't about a rear-end crash afterall.

4. 1970Ranchero

1970Ranchero In Second Gear

Reviving this thread as I am looking to get the AutoKrafters tank TestDummy referenced to replace my 70 tank.

My stock tank has the venting tube near the filler while the AutoKrafters one doesn't have one...will the lack of venting tube lead to issues (vapor lock etc.?) or should I be good-to-go without it?

Is the lack of venting an issue?

Thanks in advance guys.

5. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Venting helps with blow back when filling and boiling out through the filler neck when full and parked while hot outside
    I would consider using a vent type system
    does the tank replacement have a small 1/4 inch pipe fitting on one of the top corners?

6. 1970Ranchero

The replacement tank doesn’t have a venting pipe I believe. My 1970 tank has a venting pipe fitting right above the filler neck (see photo below) while the replacement below does not.

Here’s the tank in question:

1964-1970 Gas tank

I just ordered the tank above - is it possible to get away with the non-vented tank, or is it worth taking it to a local shop to get it modified to replicate the original?

Thanks guys.

Attached Files:

7. Hillbilly

Have it modified before you mount it. It is bad enough trying to fill a tank with the vent to the filler neck, I can imagine what it would be like without that vent. Now, what about the vent line going to the charcoal canister up front ?

8. 65restomod

If you can flip the replacement tank over that fitting/plug will sit on top of the tank and then use a 1/4 nipple and hook up a hose to the filler neck

9. 1970Ranchero

Thanks Hillbilly. I will talk to the radiator shop about getting it added. Regarding the charcoal canister up front -- I was thinking about discarding it? I was going to remove all the Smog/ emissions equipment off the car, since it doesn't have to be smogged.

By fitting/plug, do you mean the drain plug on the quarter of the tank? (see photo below)

Attached Files:

10. 65restomod

Correct

11. 1970Ranchero

Gotcha, thats a great idea! I will see if I can make that work!

12. JCrisman

JCrisman In First Gear

Any update on how this tank worked out and/or fit? We have a 71 and the tank is roached.

13. 1970Ranchero

Not yet, I haven’t had a chance to mount the tank. Fingers crossed, should be doing it this weekend and will update you on what happens

14. 1970Ranchero

Quick update on the tank. It shares the same dimensions as the old tank, so it should bolt right in. (It shares the same part number after all)

The only difference on the tank (aside from lack of filler vent) is that there is no provision to bolt the back of the tank to the bolts on the backside of the rear bumper. The 2 left-to-right straps therefore would be the only things holding the tank in.

Am I running a big risk here by foregoing the rear mounting points and relying solely on the two straps to hold the tank in?

Attached Files:

15. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I would put some kind of material between the body and tank, and the straps and tank, to get a more snug and higher-friction hold on it. Say, some of that black asphalt-like tape?

16. 1970Ranchero

Oh good point - I will definitely look into that. Thanks Andy!

17. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

One thing I forgot about: if the gas gauge sender is single-wire (which it should be), you'll need to add a grounding strap to the tank if you put material on both the top and bottom of the tank.

18. 1970Ranchero

Quick update on this - the tank fits perfectly! I haven't run the car yet, but initial impressions look good.

This tank doesn't have the rear bumper bolts, so I put some cork gasket strips in between the straps for a snug fit.

Attached Files:

19. JCrisman

JCrisman In First Gear

That looks great! Going to order one soon as well. What sending unit are you using?

20. 1970Ranchero

Thanks! I am running this sending unit. I have a parts list in my build thread.

Sending Unit