Age - it sucks.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by plumcolr, Apr 13, 2022.

1. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Just put new brakes on my expedition.

What I usedta could do all day long - - Now takes me all day long to do.
    An' don't even mention sex.

The Wrench and 1965 Ranchero 66G like this.
  2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Don't feel bad. I'm on the bad end of the longest sexual dry spell. Otherwise good women just do not want to be with a fat guy.

3. Garbageman

Garbageman In Overdrive

I resemble that

4. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Ha, tell me about it.
    At 67 YO I just did the transmission on my 70 F250.
    I thought I was in pretty good shape but the next day I was so sore I could barely walk.
    AND THAT WAS JUST TAKING IT OUT . On the plus side I have a transmission jack which made it mucho easier
    and I saved about $1,400 doing it myself.

5. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I'm 66. And I'll SPEND the $1400 and then walk the next day, without any NEW pains (that we all can do without) ;):cool:
    My flatbackin' days of transmission work have been over for a while. :oops:

6. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I'm just too damn cheap to pay someone to work on my Ranchero. Besides, it's a simple design; I can't think of much I couldn't do on it. But I wouldn't touch my wife's Honda- that one goes straight to the dealership if it needs anything.

Lincolnut, plumcolr and Hillbilly like this.
  7. handy_andy_cv64

For me, if something has to be done, I get it done. But then I absolutely pay the price for it. I need to replace Babe's fuel pump, and I'm dragging my feet about it.

plumcolr and Hillbilly like this.
  8. plumcolr

Used to do everything but wheel alignment (could get it close enough to drive for a couple days) and slushbox transmissions, though have swapped a couple of them. For my car and ranchero, my wife's and my 5 boys. Did a starter on an 86 mustang jammed in tight in a downtown Newark hi-rise parking garage for #1 son once. But no more. Didn't have any problems with the day-ago brake job, but my body is still complaining. My body no longer bends, too rigid. Oil changes only from now on.

9. T16592

T16592 In Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Geez, things taking longer with more pain :D I am there and then some. I will also add that - eating all and anything I want has ended for me. Ahh the days of eating until full , then waiting for 10 minutes to go back for dessert . Now, its soups and other soft foods. ;)

plumcolr likes this.
  10. handy_andy_cv64

Put yourself in my size 16's. I've been a compulsive overeater since childhood. Abuse destroys you little by little, and you do it to yourself, willingly. So everything that happens to me, it was early-learned behavior, and breaking it fifty years on is not impossible, but it is bloody hard. Anyway, I said all that, so I could say what my doctor once told me: that even if you're driving a one-ton truck, when it's overloaded all the time, it's bound to break down at some point.

11. T16592

T16592 In Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

I am hoping that the same amount of technological advances made on cars will be made in medicine. Cars are 500HP +, faster, more MPG, less pollution, digital memories and all done with the AC on. I am hoping they will have replacement parts for the heart, back, joints , muscle and balance upgrades. I can wait for an upgraded memory, I still have lots of post-It note pads....everywhere :D

12. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Maximum Overdrive

I understand the angst but being a physical therapist for a lot of years (I'm 70, sheesh, how did that happen?!) your body is made to move and a little consistent rightly performed exercise will go a long ways in alleviating problems...

13. plumcolr

Moss on my roof. Dragged out the ladder, climbed up - BUT as I started to clamber on to the roof, I thought. No way. They'd need to call the fire company to get me down. True story. Last week. Before the brake job. Discretion better than valor (or embarrassment).

14. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

At work, (the Float place) we work on everything that moves and a few that don't. No rack or pit, just jack stands and a moving blanket. I have lost 35 lbs. and during float season there is not a position or crevice that I have not been tucked into. There are days I go home good and sore, but they are becoming less frequent. I won't let this one kick my butt, and at 62 years it has been a challenge but a lot of fun at the same time. It has shown me first hand that I have to keep active and moving.

plumcolr and beerbelly like this.
  15. plumcolr

Good grief, this is a young crowd !

16. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Young, yes. Save for us that are older than dirt - - And some rocks.

Jeff B likes this.
  17. handy_andy_cv64

It is true that movement is necessary to alleviate stiffness, but it doesn't alleviate the associated pain, especially when parts are worn, or were broken at one time.

18. plumcolr

Gotcha beat. Closer to your dad's age. But not a lot closer.

19. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Maximum Overdrive

Reminds me of the tshirt I saw a while back that read; "When did people my age start looking like old people?"

handy_andy_cv64 and pmrphil like this.
  20. Garbageman

Garbageman In Overdrive

I believe it is not the years that age us, but the miles.