Help! Need carb help!

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by g-man1, May 7, 2011.

1. g-man1

g-man1 In Second Gear

Okay guys I need some help here.
    My '74 460 came with a factory Thermoquad.
    For multiple reasons I want to stick with a spread-bore carb, and obviously keep the factory spread-bore intake manifold.
    I do want to ditch this darn Thermoquad.
    Anybody know of a carb that will bolt on to this manifold and still have the Ford linkage. I don't even care if it's a Quadrajet.
    Thanks,

g-man

2. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Holley spread bore carb will bolt on used on lots of 460 ford trucks and vans

3. g-man1

g-man1 In Second Gear

Do you have any list #s, or other ID #s that I should be looking for when looking for this Holley?

4. Fomoco8

Fomoco8 In Maximum Overdrive

I gotta ask,,What's wrong with the TQ??

5. g-man1

g-man1 In Second Gear

The carb was re-built (by supposedly the best TQ guy in the country) but it still has the common problem of leaking in the fuel nozzle wells.
    I'm not sending it back to the guy because it took him 6 months!! to get it done the first time.
    To fix it you have to pull it completely apart and do some epoxy work.
    This should have been done, but the carb was running bad from the day we put it back on.
    Not only is it now a PITA to get the thing to start, but it is fouling all the plugs out as well.
    I just want to find a Holley at this point since it does not have these nozzle wells.

g-man

6. Fomoco8

Supposedly is correct. All the parts for TQ's are out there to fix em right... I used a Holley version spread bore in my 400 MoPar and it worked fine except for a leaking issue in the fuel bowl plugs and some secondary power issues. Check on EBay ,they turn up there a lot.(4165 )Mechanical or a 4175 (Vacuum ) Have you considered an Edelbrock carb? They have a good rep as far as street carbs go . Good Luck in the hunt

7. g-man1

g-man1 In Second Gear

Your right that there are parts to fix the TQ. Of course the main resin body is not made by anyone. I am told that it is easy enough to fix them if there is a little warping. But if there is cracking or other significant damage your kinda screwed.
    I can deal with minor leaks on a Holley, but are you sure about those #s. 4175 is a Quadrajet replacement, but isn't that carb going to have GM linkage and not Ford linkage (I honestly wouldn't know).
    Can anybody answer this question??
    I have considered an Edelbrock...but they do not make a spread bore carb.
    I do not want to use an adapter if I don't have to(but I'm getting tired of looking for the carb I want). Also, having the smaller primaries of a spreadbore sure help the mileage on this fuelish 460.
    Thanks,

g-man

8. Fomoco8

4175 is a model # for that type of carb (VS) within that group. It does appear that one for Ford wasn;t made by them.. I did some looking around and none were available with Ford linkage. A TQ bowl can be had , Just have to search a bit, Example:: http://www.carburetion.com/Carter4TQ.htm When I was redoing mine I looked at every TQ site out there trying to save some coin and still get it rebuilt correctly/.. One wrong gasket and they cease to work. I think Ford had a spread Bore on the early 70's Lincolns that you may be able to round up with some digging;; Here is a Ford version for sale as a reference to look around for http://www.championmustang.com/7173...ad-bore-carburetor-remanufactured-p-3699.html

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2011
  9. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

Regular (non-spread bore) 4165 series Holly 0-80457S works well on a 460 even with a spread bore manifold. The price is reasonable as well - currently $279.95 at Summit Racing.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2011
  10. Ranchero_460

Ranchero_460 In Second Gear

New carb. 1975 460

Hi Clark.

will the Holly 0-80457S fit on my 1975 460cui with 4 intake-holes in the intake-manifold ?

There is a lot of vacuum-gadgets around the carb, that i hope to get rid of :) so i need a "bolt-on" carb. that just need gasoline and power for the choke.

Do i need anything ekstra besides carb. to make it fit ?.

Hope you understand my english, i live in Denmark Europe where the Ranchero is very rare.

Best Regards
    Soeren
    Denmark

11. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

Soeren,
    Fits fine on my '75 460 with a stock spread bore intake. I did remove all the emissions junk so the only vacuum line required is from the carb to the distributor vacuum advance. The Holley 0-80457S comes with an electric choke.