Vacume question

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Warrens'72, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Warrens'72

Warrens'72 In Third Gear

'72 FMX...where should the modulator valve vac. line be pulled from...the carb, or the intake man.?:confused:

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Intake. Too much variation at the carb.

3. Warrens'72

Warrens'72 In Third Gear

OK so I do have it right. "BRUTUS" is runnin' awesome! but "stacking" the shifts between 1 and 2nd...I'm going to turn mod screw a little more...I've backed it out 3 turns sofar and it seemed to help...used to stack all 3 (felt like a 1spd:()
    Thanx for the conformation:D

4. ribald1

Check the lines and the mod for leaks. Use a gauge or the tongue test. Should hold vacuum for days.

5. Warrens'72

Warrens'72 In Third Gear

OK... no leaks, and turned out the mod screw till it almost fell out!...it's an FMX, fresh rebuild, and an NOS factory shift kit installed.
    it shifts through the gears fine IF I MAT IT! if I take off normal like, it's in 3rd before I hit 15mph!...If I do a "california" stop, it stays in 3rd.
    am I going the wrong way with the mod screw????:(

6. Warrens'72

Warrens'72 In Third Gear

other than the shifting thing...BRUTUS is FUN AS HELL to drive!!!
    took him on a 158 mi. drive-about today...He turned heads in 5 different counties:cool:
    Was actually the first real road test i put him through...got him up to 105 on I-575....handled PERFECTLY!!!
    put him back in his stall about 1 1/2 ago...just took a peak underneath...NO LEAKS:D

7. ribald1

Tighten makes it shift earlier, loosen makes it shift later.
    You are going the wrong way.
    Time to turn around!

8. haynmerc

haynmerc In Third Gear

Yup, Ribald1 is correct, except it's clockwise, or in to shift later, which is want you want. If you go all the way in, and it still shifts to early and holds 3rd on hollywood stops, then you have a desparity between governor and valve body (shift kit). I have the same problem on my Broader Racing C6....

9. Warrens'72

Warrens'72 In Third Gear

You guys are friggin' awesome!
    righty-loosy-lefty-tighty...a pipe fitter mustof designed it:rolleyes:

10. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Yup, Ribald1 is correct, except it's clockwise, or in to shift later, which is want you want. >haynmerc

++++++++++++++++

2nd that info.

If your motor is somewhat stock [implying mostly high manifold vacuum conditions] then there is no adjustment that will make it shift later when you pull away from a stop slowly, because the manifold vac stays high throughout that maneuver. You will always have to use enough throttle to cause a fall in manifold vac to get the modulator to activate.

11. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Are you running the external kick down arm and if so is it installed correctly ?
    That little arm on the side of the trans must be free to return to it's neutral position at idle ( up at the rod end connection ) and be fully depressed only at full throttle. Should have some form of a spring to pull the arm and rod up, usually at the carb end of the rod connection. If that internal valve the arm operates is open too much the governor is bypassed causing the stacked shifting.

12. Warrens'72

Warrens'72 In Third Gear

THANX GUYS!!!!
    screwed the mod screw in all the way and backed it out 2 turns...BINGO!:D:D

13. Warrens'72

Warrens'72 In Third Gear

He'll even "chirp" second gear!:cool: The rolling stop is a little better too.