What was your 1st car ?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by desertdale, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

Vintage 74 ranchero shot

This was the first photo taken of the 74 when i bought it in 1981. this is in Skokie, IL where I used to work.

[​IMG]

2. scbarger

scbarger Banner Maker

1973 Luxury Lemans It was power blue two door that was 17' long that could sit 8 teenagers on the two bench seats.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2013
  3. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

My wife would love that ride. She has a thing for the 73 GTO's and sport coupes.

4. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I have thing for them! Guy down the road had a 73 GrandAm, 455. One of the sexiest rear end designs put on a car.

5. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

My first was a '49 Hudson coupe -- a beauty in gun-metal gray metallic that I bought at age 17. I wrecked it within a couple months. Later I drove Studebakers, Kaisers, and even a Packard at one point. Along with a slew of Fords and Buicks, now into Chryslers and my RatChero.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. Lincolnut

Lincolnut In Third Gear

No photo but mine was a 1946 Chev Buisness Coupe, no back seat. My dad told me "Son if you will take care of that car it will last a long time & so don't hot rod it" Now remember this car had a 6 cyl babbet engine and a three speed column shift and he thought I could hot rod it.....? I paid 75 bucks for that car but it was back in 1962. Well as it turned out the girls loved that car and I always had some sweet thing in the middle of the front seat........

......About 6 months after I got the car my dad wanted to drive it to a town about 70 miles south of where we lived to visit his brother and about four hours after he left, no cell phones in those days, he called wanting me to come get him & the car because 'HE' threw a rod through the block, now who was hot rodding the car Dad?

Second car was a 1940 Ford Pickup with '53 Merc flathead with 3 Duces on top, now I wish I still had that truck it was fun to drive. The girls really do like a pickup man (boy I was 17 at the time).........That was the first of about 300+ cars in the next 60 years..........:)

7. azcolin

azcolin In Maximum Overdrive

mine was a 67' hillman minx.................... it looked something like this........
    [​IMG]

8. Cool72

Cool72 In Third Gear

Mine was a 1967 Mustang. It was raised with shackles in the rear and big Oval tires with small tires in front. It was white with a black vinyl top. 289 c4. I found an old drive shaft and cut it on a 45 degree angle and used it with glass packs for an exhaust out the side in front of the rear wheels. Used to down shift that C4, blew it up in no time... What a fun memory. :cool:

9. 71 Whitesale

71 Whitesale In Fourth Gear

Reminds me of the exhaust on my 71 Ranchero. The guy had ordered it with duals but they didn't put duals on a 302 so he cut the Y-pipe, clamped on a couple of Big Daddy Glasspacks and a pair of 6' chrome "scavenger pipes" that went straight back under the rearend. When I got some money I bought some new glasspacks and had exhaust pipes that exited just in front of the rear tires with chrome "pencil tips".

I shifted that C-4 also, but it held up well! I raced a 71 Mach1 351 Ram-Air with headers & 4 speed and took him, later he had a 427 Vette with a 4 speed and I took him from the light. I had tall 70's, started in first gear, while the Vette was boiling 60s I was leaving him behind and he didn't catch me!

10. TestDummy

My Chevelle had dual glasspacks too. I loved the crackling sound of a high speed downshift with those babies. I raced it at the track once, at the High School Nats at Milan Dragway, and won a trophy. It wasn't fast, just consistent. It had a 1971 4-bolt, 400 small block and powerglide from a Cheyenne pickup. The motor was stock and original, except for a cast iron 4 barrel intake and 650 Holley. It ran 14.75 all day long with minimal tire spin.

11. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Thought I had a pic but can't find it. Black 59 four door Fairlane, 352 with 3 speed auto trans. Has Galaxie trim but that odd notched in rear window like the Custom 300's had. Still got it, buried in the corner of a garage on the farm. Guess I'm a hoarder, huh ?

12. Gremium7

Gremium7 In Fourth Gear GOLD MEMBER

My first Car

OPEL Ascona A
    1.8 80 Ps

Attached Files:

13. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

'55 Merc

[​IMG]

Early pic with the standard oil bath air cleaner. Car came out of the junk yard with a rod through a cylinder wall. Dad sleeved that cylinder and bored the 292 Y-block 0.020 over. I later installed large diameter valve truck heads and the intake, Holley 4-barrel, and paper air cleaner from a '57 Merc. Car got maybe 11 mpg but at 25 cents a gallon, I could care less.
    I drove it all over the U.S. until the frame rusted in two around 1973.

14. GinettaG12P

GinettaG12P In First Gear

First car

1936 Ford three-window rumble-seat coupe. I paid $40 for it in 1955 when I was 15. I was too young to drive, but not too young to appreciate cars. My 36 was green , so I called it the Green Hornet. It had a split left front fender and the driver's door oilcanned, but I loved that car. One interesting feature was the full-length bed that the car had. By putting the rumble seat cushion into the footwell, and swinging up the back of the front seat - there was even a latch to keep it up - you could stretch out completely flat. I loved the roll down rear window and the swing out windshield. I sold the car when I was 16 and bought a 1949 Mercury coupe, which I ultimately nosed, decked, Frenched, lowered, etc.

15. STRETCH

STRETCH SITE SUPPORTER- BRONZE

Not suggesting ill intent by the author at all, however If you happen to have this question/answer as an online security question anywhere out there (online banking, purchasing, e-mail)... just put some thought into it.

Just throwing it out there from those who have had identity stolen before.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2013
  16. Arie

Arie In Second Gear

Mk2 Vauxhall Astra.

17. 79USMC

79USMC In Second Gear

No pixs (wasn't worth the time or money) it was a 86 chevette (vett) manual 3 speed I put chevy monza spider rims on it. All my friends had nice new hotrods from daddy so every weekend everyone would head north over the border to a town Lake Geneva WIS.to cruz in circles for hours. My buddy's with there hopped up cars peeling out smoken tires well I felt out of place so I rerouted the hoses from my windshield washer fluid under the car and over my rear tires and would put bleach in the res.and when I wanted to smoak the tires push the button and drop the cluch. One night cruzin ran out of bleach so I took moms cooking oil smoaked the tires where the chicks where a couple times went around the loop back by the chicks and they where pointing and b ustin a gut and I realized lt smelled now like fried chicken. Very embarrising but fun to remember

18. Kev250R

Kev250R In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

'93 Toyota T100. Bought it with help from my folks in '95 when I was a senior in HS. Thought I'd drive it a couple of years then get rid of it. I still have it, in fact I drive it more than my other cars/trucks. It was never known for being one of Toyota's better models, especially an early one like mine with the under-powered V6 however it has always done everything I've asked it to (and more) plus the 8' bed means it has moved more people then some moving companies!

I used to take it off-road a lot when I was younger, hauled too much weight in it regularly (I installed air springs on the rear and custom torsion bars on the front about 15 years ago) but other than a couple of blown head gaskets (something that engine is known for) it keeps going.

I'm at the point where I need to spend some money on it, mostly for cosmetic issues. I live on a corner house and still get people who will leave notes or come-up to the door and ask if I'll sell it. Here's a pic:

Kevin

[​IMG]

19. Dads79

Dads79 In Second Gear

54 Ford Sunliner...White convertible top over red. Red and white leather interior with a rebuilt 239 cubic inch V8. Radio had to warm up because it had tubes...
    Wish I still had that car!

20. TestDummy

I have Volkswagon Baja Bug as my security question answer on every site that asks for one :eek: And my password is typically my birth month spelled backward, using $ instead of 's' in there to fool people.