throttle cable

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by ramair428cjxr7, May 22, 2013.

1. ramair428cjxr7

ramair428cjxr7 In Overdrive

Hey what's up people? is getting a 460 throttle cable nessisary when transplanting a 460 into a 72 ranchero that had a 400 to begin with ? Will a 74 Torino 460 cable work in said ranchero THANKS. in ADVANCE BUTCH p.s its got a edelbrock intake and holley street advenger 4bbl

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2013
  2. Fomoco8

Fomoco8 In Maximum Overdrive

Should be OK as long as you aren't using Hi Rise type manifold like a Stealth ..In that case find one from a big block Lincoln that is just a tad longer,, I used one from a Mark V on mine and it was perfect

3. ramair428cjxr7

cable

OK thank you

4. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

In both of my rancheros (74 and 79) 460 swaps I needed to get the correct throttle cable. I tried a cable from a 400 but it was to short on the engine side. The 460 throttle cable from any 72-76 torino/montego or 74-76 elite/cougar with the 429/460 will work.

5. pdw72

pdw72 In Maximum Overdrive

When I did the swap in my '77 Cougar, I was told I would need to swap the cable but the guy that I bought the mounts from didn't have the cable. I proceeded with the swap figuring I would get the cable later but the 400 cable ended up working fine.

6. Brian Loula

Brian Loula In Fourth Gear

I have heard some people used their 400 cable,& some that had to change to the 429/460 cable. In my application, I had to use the 429/460 cable, as my secondaries wouldn't open, but I used my stock Motorcraft 4bbl.. Maybe it's a matter of using stock or aftermarket carbs., or Ford used 429/460 cables (that's what they had on hand) in 351c/400 built cars?

7. Fomoco8

Fomoco8 In Maximum Overdrive

I had the same issue ( wouldn't open the secondary all the way) due to a Holley and Weiand Stealth intake on mine. The Cable from the Big Block Lincoln was just the right length

8. ramair428cjxr7

cable

OK thanks again I'll just bite the bullet and find me one. I have a holley and will either use Wieand or edelbrock