CrownVic help

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by sarah, Aug 7, 2013.

1. sarah

sarah Pic Moderator Staff Member

Yo guys and gals... we just acquired a 2003 Crown Vic Police Interceptor so we now have a vehicle big enough to carry the grandsons around in. The emblems and such have been removed but there is still a residue I would love to get off of the car any suggestions? :D

2. bscottie

bscottie In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

denatured alcohol worked for me, also the cheap bug and tar remover has worked as well

3. Rayell

Rayell In Overdrive

Paint stores have a 4" round rubber decal remover. They can be used with a power drill or die grinder. I have bought many PI cars to resale, and used them with the best results. They leave the paint intact, and you can buff out the fade shadows afterward.

4. Lord Snow

Lord Snow In Fourth Gear

5. sarah

I tried goo gone and it didn't phase it but I honestly didn't think of Bug and Tar... I'll try that next

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vicky is in really good shape we are happy with her

6. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Surprised Goo-gone didn't work. That's what it's made for; adhesives.
    Sweet car. You didn't buy it to keep your Grandkids safe though. I know that. You bought it because it's an old Ford.

7. sarah

Actually the 3 grandsons are the very reason I bought her as I have three trucks and none hold the boys. Besides it being a cool car :) The Ranger worked until my daughter blessed us with a third grandson in April. Soooo I needed a bigger ride.. Thanks Sean

8. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

9. Louis

Louis In Overdrive

Great car, I bought my wife police 1999 Crown vic 7 years ago, car now has 190,000 miles on it and she won't let me get rid of it.

10. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

I have an 05 LX Sport Model with buckets and a console. Love the car.

11. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Sweet ride Sarah ! Now tell us the truth, I know you've put the loud pedal down hard so what do you think ?

12. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Maximum Overdrive

We use enamel reducer at the shop. Careful with an eraser tool, it can burn the paint surface due to it's high speed.

13. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Oh come on. It has to be safer than an old Ranger right?

14. TestDummy

That's like saying does getting hit in the head with a hammer hurt more than getting hit in the head with a baseball bat. Years ago, the wife and I, along with my brother's in law, we told my mother-in-law that she won't be allowed to transport our kids around (her grandkids) in her POS Chevrolet Cavalier; it was too unsafe. Personally, if I had small children, I wouldn't let them ride in a Crown Vic, with no airbags and crush zones, and a weak occupant compartment, but that's me. Sure it's big, but it is weak. Hell, I didn't let my daughter ride in my Crown Vic but a few times. A large pickup or SUV, or even a full size car, like the Impala we helped my mother-in-law lease,... for sure. Whatev's.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2013
  15. Giska1

Giska1 In Maximum Overdrive

The car painters use the silicone remover before painting the cars, that work's good for moving glue, but you have to use it several times, it's a lot cheaper than the 3M. I had a Company that did the advertising on cars and signs and stuff for 10 years, The 3M citrus clean on spray are just a bit better but expensive!!! Normaly you can get some of the silicone stuff cheap at Your local painter, But some patience are required to get it off:rolleyes:
    Good luck:D

16. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

What you mean "no crush zones"..... ? I have seen quite a few that crushed quite nicely, some hit hard enough to push the engine under the floor but not deforming the passenger compartment significantly. Some had the back bumper against the rear axel as a crush zone and plenty more in lesser degrees of destruction. Now a t-bone hit, the Panther series is no better or worse than other body on frame sedans. That means none are meant to stand up to a hard side shot in my opinion. Show me a sedan than can hold off a side impact from a tree, train, or F-350 at 50 mph or better. I'm biased after looking at thousands of these cars in the Southeastern junk yards and being able to tell which cars the passengers walked away from, even if they were thoroughly pissed about their car being a total loss. I prefer getting out mad to getting scooped out into a bag. These aren't "X" frame ancient GM's. Your statistics may prove me wrong but why do I see so many Vics, Marquis, and T-Cars with bloodless intact interiors ? Nearly all show compliance with seat belt use as the stretched /melted webbing is obvious. I just don't believe they are as unsafe as you think they are.

17. TestDummy

I mean, 'no crush zones'. They have a frame and that's it. The Delta V of the occupant in a full frame car is higher than a unibody. In other words, the car doesn't crush and you and your internal organs move forward quick. T-bone's are horrible in Crown Vic's, you are correct. I have seen first hand a Camry get hit in the side by a 5000 SUV going 50-mph. The driver survived, with broken ribs, pelvis, left wrist and a concussion, but he survived, and only because his Camry had side curtain and thorax airbags. Sorry, maybe back in 2002 they were considered safe, but today, nope. A new Hyundai Elantra is much safer than an early 2000's CV.

Nobody can determine the occupant injuries just by looking at crashed cars in junkyards. No way.

18. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Maximum Overdrive

It's similar to the 70's and their railroad tie bumpers that are no longer used. Newer car metal technology and design are better than bigger is better. We see it on the frame rack when we fix crash damage. Look at the results of the old Chevy that was crashed a while back to see how new vs. old saves lives. Even with seatbelts and airbags I wouldn't want to have been in the old Chevy. BUT i'll still drive my Ranchero.

19. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

I drive a 69 Econoline every day.
    As a kid I rode a bicycle without a helmet, and later a motorcycle sans helmet. Also, as a kid, I rode a skateboard without elbow or knee pads.

You want to be totally safe?
    Move into a bomb shelter, and never leave.
    Or better yet, commit suicide. What possible harm could come to you after that?:eek:

There is no doubt that modern cars are safer, but those in the 'safety' industry cook the numbers by putting deaths and injuries where the safety measures were not in place as that being the cause, and attributing deaths and injuries where safety measures were in place to other causes.
    A large part of the reason fatalities have fallen is due to dividers being installed on highways. If the hundreds of millions of dollars spent on microscopic safety improvements on vehicles were instead diverted to highway dividers it would be far better spent.

But then, some people have an industry to advocate.:D

20. TestDummy

:rolleyes: There's no disputing you are a very smart and knowledgeable guy, which makes it really surprising to me how many totally idiotic things you post. You truly have no idea what you are talking about, in this case. And I were to post facts, you would dispute them as being cooked, so what’s the point?

The question here is not vehicle safety as much as it is putting innocent children at risk. Hell, I’d drive a 500 hp Corvette around, but I wouldn’t put my baby in one and drive it around. SUV’s and minivans are where children should be placed, not 10-15 year old POS cars. But hey, to each his or her own.