Ign Coil?

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by 79351rancherogt, Sep 19, 2013.

1. 79351rancherogt

79351rancherogt In Fourth Gear

Hello again my 79 is running great but at idle and only running for about 15-20 mins the truck dies like someone turned off the ign,sometimes it starts right back up and sometimes not. Its losing spark its electronic ign with the box on the drivers side wheel well, but my question is even only running in the driveway after 15-20 mins the dist coil is blazing hot is this normal? And will it cause it to just die? This just happened to me I have an extra coil and ign module but where to start first?

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Sounds like either the coil is bad or the ignition resistor (if it uses one) has somehow been bypassed.
    An overheated coil will stop working, and a coil with a shorted winding will overheat.

3. Andy McElhaney

Andy McElhaney In Third Gear

Module. It was a common problem when the cars were still new. Customer would call and say "Car quit running, it is at XXXX." I would go down a little later, and it would start right up! I still carry a spare module in my 76 F150.

4. 79351rancherogt

Looks like I might change both then.Ill keep you guys posted.

5. rancheromac

rancheromac In Third Gear

module without doubt

that year whether Lincoln or ford was notorius for your car. start w/this before you replace the other

6. 79351rancherogt

I still don't like the coil blazing hot the truck sat for 5+ hours and its still warm.

7. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

The coil should never be hotter than what it is bolted to unless you just stopped from a high RPM run.

8. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

?? This sounds wrong to me; with the ignition 'off' there should be no voltage to either the coil or the duraspark module. Maybe you have one of those perpetual energy coils.

Almost has to be either the dura box or the coil -- I'd change the Duraspark first.

9. 79351rancherogt

All it did was sit in the driveway for about 15-20 min at idle the die the coil is bolted at the front of the motor suspended above the intake so not even making contact with the intake.And was blazing hot.

10. inenidok

inenidok In Overdrive

Coil or resitor

11. 79351rancherogt

So far so good bought a new ign module replaced the coil running and running and the coil is much cooler, I dident see a resistor anywhere so I don't think it has it but its running well.

12. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Just to let you know, there is a resistor in between the ignition switch and the coil. It's a piece of resistance wire about 5 foot long folded up inside the dash wire harness between the switch and the connector on the firewall for the engine stub harness. BB probably remembers what numbers you should look for if you are checking to see if it still retains it's correct amount of resistance. Reguardless, it's highly likely that infamous Dura-Spark box was your culprit all along. I carry a spare.