Want to install auxilary radiator fan

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Torkair, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Torkair

Torkair In Maximum Overdrive

The other day I was stuck at a red light much longer than I had expected and my temperature gauge was getting a bit high for my liking as well as having some issues running. Anyhow, because of this I am considering installing an auxiliary electric fan that I can switch on or off from inside the car in order to get rid of the excess heat I have been experiencing. What have the rest of you been doing in situations similar to mine?

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

First check the normal causes of a temp rise at idle.
    Retarded ignition timing.
    Clogged radiator.
    Missing or improper fan shroud.
    Bad water pump.

In my opinion, if you install an electric fan you are best off converting to electric fan only and ditching the mechanical fan. In for a dime, in for a dollar.

3. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

Can you give a few more details on your cooling system like: radiator core size, fan type(flex or clutch fan), are you using a fan shroud?, thermostat opening temp...
    After having similar cooling problems and wanting to solve my engine's cooling system issues I did away with the mechanical fan/clutch assembly and installed a dual electric fan assembly out of a '97 Ford Windstar, using two separate controllers and 2-70 amp relays, NO more cooling issues. It did require an upgrade to a 3G alternator(better anyhow, over a 1G) and a bit of wiring, but the return was better MPG, a little boost in HP and now I can completely control when the fans come on. Todd

4. MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Is this a new thing to occur? Did the temp return to normal after getting through the light?

5. Torkair

Torkair In Maximum Overdrive

THe temp went back down once I got moving again.

I am currently running a 3 core radiator, factory shroud, an aftermarket flex fan, and I think I have a stock temp thermostat for a 460 (otherwise I go as low as possible). Normally it runs really cool but summer is rolling in here and just want that extra bit of insurance.

6. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

The amount of heat the engine makes is directly related to power output.
    Idle is very low power output.
    From your description of your setup, I suspect the water pump.
    Put on a pair of leather gloves, and with it idling at full temp, try to pinch the upper radiator hose closed by hand. If you don't feel major resistance to doing so by the water coming out of the block you have a water pump issue.
    If you have reduced pulley sizes, undo that.

7. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

Sounds to me like the aftermarket fan isn't up to the task of drawing enough airflow across the radiator to cool your 460 when in heavy stop-n-go traffic or stopped at a light for any length of time. IMO, if you are wanting to keep a mechanical cooling fan I would try a 7 blade factory style clutch fan and ditch the flex fan. Todd

8. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

When I first got the Ranchero road-worthy and was driving it, I had bad pre-ignition detonation, even though I had dialed back the timing to 0*. Since I have a transplanted 79 Grand Marq, it had the original crank and W/P multi-rib pulleys, and my former boss suggested I replace them with later Crown Vic/Grand Marq 5.0 pulleys. Once I did, the engine ran cooler, even at a long idle stop, as compared to knocking at cruise. The only other thing I almost forgot to mention is that I also run a 5.0 HO pump and fan clutch.