Changing the Entire Exhaust System

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Mike, Aug 6, 2013.

1. *RD*

*RD* In Maximum Overdrive

I also agree with what everyone is saying here. For quite some time I was running flowmaster super 40's with 2.5in pipes exiting straight out the rear under the bumper. Ever since I had the 410 stroker cleveland built with high flow heads, big cam, and some other things, it seemed like that exhaust was hindering the performance of the car. Once I got a set of magnaflow ss mufflers in 3in, and also having it exit out before the rear axle with turndowns, I noticed a very good improvement. Car pretty much ran a lot smoother, my torque curve was a lot more instantaneous than it was before, and the car sounded 10 times better. Funny thing too is even with that big exhaust the car runs even better at the track open header. So if you plain to stay stock run 1/2 inch or smaller.

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yeah, I don't pay any mind. I just post up.

3. psb

psb In Second Gear

I found that flow masters The 5 stage for as quite as possible with a 347 roller engine where way to loud in the car. Sound nice out side.. But a cross over pipe is not enough. Looking for long turbos now. or?

4. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Big cams like short open exhaust systems because the long duration on the exhaust valves negates effective scavenging and ends up sending pressure waves up the tubes at the header rather than a vacuum signal.
    Counter intuitively, a smaller exhaust (in your case I would use a 2" or 2.25") keeps exhaust velocity high enough that the scavenging vacuum signal is not lost.
    Go to a track where open pipes are not allowed, look at the winners, and compare the size of their pipes to their horsepower. You will find them smaller than the 'big pipe' crowd thinks they should be.
    If the sound is what you want, run properly sized pipes to the muffler and 4" after. It will sound like Godzilla is pounding up the pavement.