HEADLINER

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by AMX, Nov 11, 2014.

1. AMX

AMX In Second Gear

I've never owned a Ford older car, just AMC's. On a headliner that has bows, does the headliner have anything to do with the back glass - meaning does the headliner go under the edge of the back glass seal or under the trim where the wood board is behind the seat? Thanks for any anyone's input. Sorry its a 73

2. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

The headliner is glued to the pinch-weld around the back glass and then covered with the rear window gasket. It doesn't have anything to do with the trim panel behind the seat.

3. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

A truly idiotic design, to be sure.

4. scbarger

scbarger Banner Maker

I agree especially when you order a new headliner and don't realize that it wraps under that seal and cut the thing to small. Now every time I drive I have to retuck it. I guess it will have to do until I install the second one I have sitting on the work bench.

ForistellFord and TestDummy like this.
  5. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Maximum Overdrive

That's the way most headliners from all the manufacturers were installed for decades until the foam backed one piece type were used. Now we just have to deal with the cloth coming unglued and hanging down like a big cobweb. Definitely designed for the assembly line. But that's progress.

6. AMX

AMX In Second Gear

Thanks for alls input. Well then I know I'll have to put a headliner in BEFORE the back glass.

7. Daleo56

Daleo56 In Third Gear

Take your time and it will turn out well. Watch a few YouTube videos too as they helped me.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

One trick you can use to get rid of small wrinkles in headliners is the use of steam.
    If you have a steam iron you can use it to heat up the headliner after it is installed and the wrinkles will disappear. Don't touch the iron directly to the headlining though, just let the steam rise to the material and it will tighten up.
    The Ranchero headliners are pretty easy to install for a suspended headliner only having two bows, the more bows the more difficult the job, the more rounded the roof doubles the difficulty.
    Early VW's are pretty difficult to do.
    '71 Ranchero.
    [​IMG]
    Another in Black,
    [​IMG]
    Mustang Headliner..
    [​IMG]

9. Huevos

VW headliner before,
    [​IMG]
    VW headliner complete..
    [​IMG]

TestDummy likes this.
  10. Zack M.

Zack M. In Second Gear

Looks great Huevos, really nice work!

11. jskinnerga

jskinnerga In First Gear

Nice work guys! I am waiting on a headliner for our '69, along with new seatcovers. I also realized the back glass had to come out, so I have the new seal ready to go. Everytime we start on something, it requires something else to be taken off to get to what we origianlly started...or so it seems...thanks for the tips, I have only done my torino sprtsroof so far, so this may be a little easier. I like the clip assembly at the front of the headliner, much better than the setup for my sportsroof.

Jim

12. Bryan59EC

Bryan59EC In Overdrive

The early ones are fun----NOT
    Glued to the windshield pinchweld and the rear glass pinchweld
    Windlacing needs to be installed BEFORE the headliner.

The headliner retainer on the sides goes over the top of the windlace clips and windlace tail

13. Marty

Marty In Third Gear

I have a '65 and had my headliner done before I installed the new windlacing as the person that did the headliner told me she had to do the headliner first. Installing the windlacing was a challenge but I got it done. Hard to get the clips bent correctly.

14. AimlessMoto

AimlessMoto In Overdrive

It's a truck.... screw the headliner!! :)

But seriously... when I took my back glass out I almost ROYALLY screwed myself trying to remove the decades old window sealant and nearly cutting a huge gash into the head liner.

Truly a goofy design, but when it's installed correctly, it looks very neat and tidy tucked up under the window seal.

mo.herbfarm likes this.
  15. mo.herbfarm

mo.herbfarm In Maximum Overdrive

They told me not to say that..... mo.

16. Huevos

Yes, the old ones are fun.... It took time and craftsmanship to do an interior of a car back then.."Coach Work"
    Here is a 47 Ford Fordor we are finishing up this week..

[​IMG]

mo.herbfarm likes this.
  17. Bryan59EC

Bryan59EC In Overdrive

Awesome job there
    That passenger compartment is pretty big compared to
    my brother's 46 Coupe. But that car has been chopped, channeled, and widened.
    Side glass is MAYBE 9" tall

18. Billy Zoom

Billy Zoom In Fourth Gear

Installation varies depending on the year of the Ranchero. I think the back window always has to come out, but '66 on has plastic windlacing that pushes on last, and a barbed metal strip over the windshield to hold the headliner in the front.