Interior lights, dome lights, map lights. What do you use?

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Jeff B, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

In my '70 I have the knee level courtesy lights. Was there an option for an overhead dome light?
    If so, could the wire be there in the roof for it or would I have to run one? Anybody find or make an overhead console with map lights? How was it mounted? Thanks.

2. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

@ Jeff B ... sorry, no option, no wire.

But, I think that with planning a person might be able to cut a slit in the headliner and then working through that you could epoxy some sort of bracket onto the underside of the roof. You could snake a wire down one of the B pillars, connect it to the under-dash lights. Might be tricky holding the bracket in place while the glue dries.

3. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  4. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Very nice touch. Thanks

5. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  6. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

huevos,
    that looks clean.
    i'd thought about doing something like that down low for the tool storage area.

7. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Maximum Overdrive

My 79 came with a pair of lighted mirror visors that are the same as Mark V Continental. Works great for dome light. Put a few in some other Rancheros and some out of a Versailles in one of my 66 Mustangs. Dye them to match, run a hot wire and screw them on.

8. 6delta

6delta In Fourth Gear

The 70/71 headliner does not have "trim" in the front to help hide wires. I think the Galaxie ones in the back are the best bet. Look real good too. A friend gave me a rearview mirror with lights on the bottom. I just could not use it without it looking weird. If the headliner is out you may be able to rig an overhead center light Otherwise the insulation gets in the way of everything.

9. Jimbob

Jimbob SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER GOLD MEMBER

how about mounting one of those, chrome map/dome light units that just about ALL Ford products had in the 70's?

10. Jimbob

Jimbob SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER GOLD MEMBER

Nice touch Huevos

11. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Since the main wiring harness groups are shared across body lines most cars will have the pigtail for the dome light in the wiring, usually at the floor near one of the seat foundations. One all my '72s the wire, which is yellow/light green stripe, was under the seat at the rear foundation and was looped back into a cavity on the floor. It is a black or yellow (I've got a mixture of both between the cars - early 72 production was black, later production was yellow) single connector female plug. If you can locate that wire it will save you time hunting down a power source if you figure out a way to install the light.

12. Ringo00

Ringo00 In Second Gear

For the cheapskates, I got one of those LED puck lights from wally-world for about $2, glued a strong magnet to the back of it, and stuck it to the ceiling. Works pretty well and I can move it if I need to. That has come in handy more than once working under the dash.

ForistellFord likes this.