My Ford "ElCamino"

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Vtxman, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Vtxman

Vtxman In Second Gear

I've owned a lot of vehicles over the years but none of them ever received the kind of positive comments my 73 Ranchero gets. It's a people magnet. However, I was wondering how many of you hear what I hear in about 75% of the comments..."Nice ElCamino"..."Is that an ElCamino?"..."What year is your ElCamino?" and so on? I always take it in stride and then give them a little grief for not knowing its a Ford. For the small number of people who do get it right I always shake their hand and thank them for not calling it an ElCamino. Lol. They usually point out that you see a lot of ElCaminos and rarely a Ranchero. Which makes it somewhat of a mystery why our rides don't get more love when it comes to collectiblity. Based on the feedback I get it may be due to the fact everyone thinks they are Caminos!

Cindy likes this.
  2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

If the Ranchero was a hot "collectable", most here couldn't afford one.
    So I don't mind if it is kept as our little secret.

Gammz, HuevosRanchero and Vtxman like this.
  3. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

From 73-79 the Ranchero got so damn ugly, it ruined their reputation forever. Sad, but true. ;)

DonC likes this.
  4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

If you think that's painful, a doofus from the city code enforcement office labeled mine in official documents as a Cadillac Eldorado......................o_O

5. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

......And some folks have never seen one before, ever! I had a white Bronco for a while, the O.J. jokes got old pretty fast.

Vtxman likes this.
  6. Vtxman

Vtxman In Second Gear

Yep, so sad but true TDummy. Ford only sold a quarter of a million of these damn ugly things during those model years. Almost half of the entire production run since day one. Sad, but true.

7. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Agreed, it's both sad and true.

8. Bryan59EC

Bryan59EC In Overdrive

My 59 Elky gets the "I've never seen one of those before---what is it??"
    Also get a lot of "Nice Super Sport" on the 66-------never was a 66 SS Elky----let alone a 327 SS Elky

The lil blue Ranchero-----gets a lot of "What is it?"---------"Is that a Falcon?"

I like 'em all regardless

DonC and Vtxman like this.
  9. Mike

Mike In Overdrive

When it happens I get the "look" or someone points. Once I was stopped at a red and someone jump from their driver's seat to the passenger side and we had a conversation before the light turned green. I politely correct those that get it wrong and compliment those that get it right. Either way I'm glad that someone took the time.

Vtxman likes this.
  10. Jimbob

Jimbob SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER GOLD MEMBER

Well, I don't care what you two think, I love my '73! Plus it's green so it must be cool! Ha :D

Vtxman likes this.
  11. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

I suspect Vtxman was being sarcastic, considering that he owns a 73;)

Jimbob and Vtxman like this.
  12. Vtxman

Vtxman In Second Gear

Yep! Just a little sarcasim in my response. I do enjoy my 73 and absolutely don't buy into the opinion of some that it's styling forever ruined the reputation of the Ranchero! Too many "other" designs and model years to throw into that argument. Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder. I'm sure each member here thinks their model year is the "coolest". I had a 60 model in college and of course it was the coolest...then. :cool:

Jimbob likes this.
  13. Jimbob

Jimbob SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER GOLD MEMBER

Ha! yeah, missed that part!....in my defense i was posting from my phone, so didnt notice his avatar on the small screen ...well,thats my excuse and im sticking to it! :D

Vtxman likes this.
  14. Gammz

Gammz In Fourth Gear GOLD MEMBER

I punch them in the face......

Vtxman likes this.
  15. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

i take the time to educate those that are surrounded by Elkys.
    it might help though if i actually get the friggin car painted and emblems installed. !
    but the "Fairlane" trim might throw them another curve.......

Vtxman likes this.