pertronics

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by lanny, Nov 14, 2018.

1. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

It was a catharsis, what can I say.

TestDummy and andrewok1 like this.
  2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I cried a little.

ForistellFord likes this.
  3. lanny

lanny In Second Gear

Great story, ForistellFord, we all (probably) have a story similar to it. Miss our dads a bunch.

Anybody got some help on the diode to the regulator problem? Maybe I will have to call Pertronix.

4. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

On my '64 with a generator, the voltage regulator is next to the radiator on the driver side. On my '67 F250 with an alternator, the voltage regulator is next to the radiator on the passenger side. Is this the regulator that you're talking about?

Joseph

5. lanny

lanny In Second Gear

Vwah - lah ! (I don't know how its really spelled) It is time for an egg nog. . . . . I found the voltage regulator hiding ahead of the battery (right-front corner of the engine compartment) on the inside edge of the radiator support deep in a little cubby just behind the outside headlight. I don't think Ford had a better idea this time. I've been wrenching on Fords since 1959 and usually find regulators on the inner fender panels or on the radiator support in plain sight. With the battery in place, I could see a wire loom back in the hole and standing on my tippy toes and poking my head in the opening behind the battery, with a flashlight, I saw what appeared to be a small regulator. So out came the battery and with more tippy toes and head poking I found two screws holding the regulator in place. Out it came, located the alternator idiot light wire, clipped it, installed the diode, put it all back together, hit the key, engine started, shut it off, engine quit.

I appreciate the help and comments - you guys are the bomb! I will re-time it tomorrow and go for a test drive........

6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Woo hoo! Have a safe trip when you do it, and marvel in just how much better it starts and idles.

7. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

8. pmrphil

Are you serious? :eek: :confused: YOU should try and watch the video - maybe then you can learn one red and one black equals TWO - not three. Again, watch the video.

ForistellFord and beerbelly like this.
  9. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

You are pulling my leg, right?
    The ground wire doesn't have to be connected?
    If the video claims that, I am NOT going to waste time watching it.
    Or are you claiming there is no wire connecting the ground terminal to the unit? That it operates without a ground connection?
    Not trying to be insulting, but do you really know how the thing works? Or is it just a magic doohickey?

I bet that if you stop and think, rather than reacting, you will realize that listening to advertisers is the proper method only when the objective is to walk away knowing less than before.

10. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Ribald, I think there needs to be a clarification of the "ground wire", being either INTERNAL or EXTERNAL. There is an internal ground wire inside the distributer, which was previously connected to the condenser mounting screw. But installing either the Pertronix 1 or 2 eliminates the condenser, and the INTERNAL ground wire is re-attached to the previous condenser ground lug. That's the way mine is wired, and it's worked perfectly for over 34,000 mile with no issues.

11. ribald1

Ok
    Look at the unit. It has a piece of metal on the bottom that is screwed to the advance plate.
    If you put tape under in and used a plastic screw, would the unit work? Well, by shuckers, NO.
    Now put on your mentalating hat and give that some consideration.
    Then get back to me.
    Have a beer first though, don't want the grey matter to overheat.

12. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

You should forward your response to Pertronix for their input- you may find out actual facts.

pmrphil and TestDummy like this.
  13. ribald1

I have the schematic from them.
    The ground wire is clearly shown.
    When I look at the unit, I can see it. Actually, you can also, but as it doesn't look the way you are expecting it to look you aren't recognizing it.
    All three wires have a terminal. Between the terminal and the unit is the wire. There is a wire between the ground terminal (also used to mount the thing) and the unit also.
    And yes, it is a lot shorter than the other 2 wires.
    Also, I am not picking nits. That wire and it's proper connection to ground are critical to the units operation. Many troubles with the pertronix stem from a poor ground connection. If that wire is not properly grounded misses and weak signals happen.
    The pertronix unit appears to the coil as a set of points. It connects and disconnects the coil negative terminal TO GROUND. No ground wire from the unit to ground, no ground.

14. ribald1

I see you are starting to understand.
    Some really fight learning a new thing, especially when they learn that what they thought they knew was wrong.

15. ribald1

No, actually I can't imagine something like that. Is it a real thing? Want to tell me what it is like?

16. pmrphil

Dammit!!! I just KNEW there had to be a reason I only see two! :eek: That invisible wire should make itself visible so we all can see it. :rolleyes:

TestDummy and ForistellFord like this.
  17. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Try again with a pair of these on.

upload_2018-11-30_10-35-24.png

pmrphil, TestDummy and ForistellFord like this.
  18. TestDummy

If you can talk someone into hitting you in the head with a baseball bat, you'll see four wires until the concussion subsides. It's what I heard.

19. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

I have the pertronix that I bought from Lschero last year in my hand and it has one red wire and one black wire, what seems to be the problem.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    TestDummy likes this.
  20. TestDummy

The problem is you are blind.