67 fairlane ranchero 3 on tree

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Ian Goolsby, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Ian Goolsby

Ian Goolsby In Second Gear

Folks in an attempt to track down my bad steering i went to look at the condition of the rag joint and low and behold there is not one. Not as far as i can see. This 67 originally had 3 on the tree to my knowledge and now has a 3 speed top loader and no longer the column shifter. I believe the play is somewhere in the area where all the original linkage is. Can i easily take all that off and convert to a traditional rag joint? Or is this going to be a nightmare?
    Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 3.15.33 PM.jpg

2. Ian Goolsby

the tag on the steering box reads: SMAC 6J22B

3. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

The column shifter linkage has nothing at all to do with the steering - it's all contained inside the tube. Any play would be in the other steering components - box, idler arm, tie rod ends, or pitman arm.

4. Ian Goolsby

Awesome thanks Phil. I was thinking that. So there is now rag joint on my car. Even in the tube. I do believe its in the box then because every other steering part is new and tight. From the numbers on my tag what box would go right in? or do i need to buy the rod and box together? I dont mind getting the tub style with the linkage out of there.

5. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Not quite sure what you mean by "rod and box?" I would advise not trying to reinvent the wheel - and by that I mean repair what's broken, and not just replace parts because you may not like them. That's called improvement, if you REALLY hate the shift arms, cut them off and cover the hole.
    See the slotted threaded stub (with the nut on it)? That's the adjusting hardware for the steering box. But DON"T just start cranking away on the adjuster - it can easily ruin a good box if that's not the problem. Take it to a GOOD front end place and have them do whatever it NEEDS.

6. Kiwirancher

Kiwirancher In Fourth Gear

On my 66 I removed the complete steering box and had a mechanic friend check it out , it had a lot of play when I bought it. There was one collapsed bearing and one badly worn one. They were replaced , the box adjusted and I reinstalled it. All good , no play. Luckily the internals were in good condition. I think these boxes are referred to as long shaft boxes. It is possible to remove them without taking the radiator out if you remove the seat , allowing the shaft to drop down enough to just get over the radiator support.
    Denis.

7. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

This was right before manufacturers started installing rag joints and collapsible columns. Not sure what's in that tube.

8. Ian Goolsby

Is there benefits to going with the newer style rag joint set up?

9. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Only in driver safety. In a heavy frontal collision that solid shaft can be driven right into your chest and that ain't pretty. Myself, I would hunt the newer collapsible column and short shaft box with the rag joint just because. Test Dummy did a crash test on a 59 Chevy and that video is very telling as far as what can happen. Maybe Sean can re-post that video for you.

10. TestDummy

Nah.

11. TestDummy

Okay. At 44 seconds in you can see the column almost take off his hear, and the rim crush his chest. In the practice test we ran a few months earlier, the column better aligned with the chin, taking off his head. It was AWESOME.

12. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That's the same design as mine, and like most up until '67. No rag joint, with a long steel shaft that connects to the steering wheel. Mine's a factory 4-speed, so there's no shifter arms coming out of the column. My car has 198,000 miles on it and the box is still remarkably tight; I suppose your box could need a rebuild, but I'd take it to an alignment shop and have them check all the front end & steering components as well. If you find that your box needs rebuilding, here's a source:
    http://www.chockostangclassicmustang.com/rebuildingservices.html

IMG_0745.JPG

pmrphil and TestDummy like this.
  13. Buds 67

Buds 67 In Fourth Gear

I am looking for a cluster for my 1967 Ford Ranchero Fairlane 500, any help is thanked!