mod swap update'

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by pdw72, Jul 26, 2009.

1. pdw72

pdw72 In Maximum Overdrive

Thanks Andy, if you hadn't noticed I actually used the front frame section from the Crown Vic in turn utilizing the front suspension and moving the steering box to the front of the cross member. I am thinking of using a rack and pinion set-up too but that is a little more down the line. , the '91 steering column was only temporary to get it moved around, it is currently on dollies for moving it around the garage (mostly out of the way so I can do other stuff in the garage), The ball joints are seized tight so steering it was a nightmare. another thought is implementing the Vic Dashboard and Steering column to it, nothing set in stone since I am still a long ways away from that part.

TestDummy likes this.
  2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I missed the CV frame part. I've seen that used on a full size Bronco. Your desire to use an R&P could be solved, as I thought I saw a very late-model CV with one. If nothing else, the very late-model F150s have R&P. One other thing to consider is using a '90s T-bird/Cougar IRS; that was also used on the aforementioned Bronco.

3. pdw72

'03 up Crown Vics have an aluminum crossmember/suspension set-up with r&p steering, wish I knew that before doing what I did with the '94 stuff. I will probably stick with what I've got for suspension if I can get a r&p to work out, otherwise may find a newer set-up and start over.

4. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

That's good to know. I want to upgrade the front on my 72 and was leaning toward the aftermarket MII set ups.

5. handy_andy_cv64

I can't see using an R&P without a major rebuild of the engine crossmember, or grafting on a CV front end. Unfortunately way beyond my paygrade and bank account.

6. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

If you are responding to me, the aftermarket MII setups come complete with the cross member. You could put two wheels on them and roll them around. They run $1600+ depending on options.

7. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Paul, I'd run what you have already built as it steers quite well compared to the original rear steer on the Ranchero. Rack and Pinion doesn't give enough bang for the buck to make it worth changing.

pdw72 likes this.
  8. pdw72

Thanks Hillbilly, still saving up for the suspension rebuild parts so the steering will come later. I am driving a well worn '95 right now and the steering is less than optimum but with 250k, things get a little worn out.

9. pdw72

Hey ya'll, been a while. Latest update is life happens and my '72 has been stored in a friend's barn now for 4 years, have done some odd and ends but not much else. Looking forward to spring plan is to make it driveable enough to bring it home to my undersized 1 car garage so I have it more accessible. Finally have the steering and brakes worked out. New exhaust manifolds ready to go on it too as, I bought a set of SS headers but they won't clear the '94 frame.

HuevosRanchero and colnago like this.
  10. handy_andy_cv64

So welcome back, man! Sorry that life got in your way, but you were missed!

11. handy_andy_cv64

I've just re-read my post about your steering column; have you made a decision about it?

12. Rods N Restos

Rods N Restos In Overdrive

About time.
    Why do you think I gave you the 60-70's Hot Rods Facebook group.
    Was spending way too much time managing 7 Facebook groups and since I didn't create that group it was time to pass it to someone else and leave group.
    The Gran,Torino,Ranchero groups plus my Auto Restoration group is all I really spend time on other then memberships requests on the other 2 groups but you change the cover photo on those more then I do.

Winter is here so no big deal but come spring get off the Facebook groups and get out there and make some progress the people who send requests to join my 6 groups can just wait till night time or we can get more help and add a moderator as 3 Admins is enough but Moderators can add Members too.
    Anyway you been very helpful over the years but time you take some time off and do work for yourself.
    My groups can wait once Spring weather arrives

13. Rods N Restos

Rods N Restos In Overdrive

BTW find someone who Tig welds and Modify the SS headers so the clear frame.
    Either that or notch frame if you can.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  14. pdw72

Yup, just sticking with the forward mounted gear setup, I'm in the game to simplify this thing just to drive itagain, it's been too long.

15. handy_andy_cv64

I'm hearing you on FM! As before, I will be watching this thread.

pdw72 likes this.