1969 ranchero 4 speed console question

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Car Nut, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Car Nut

Car Nut In Second Gear

Hello all,
    I am struggling with my hurst comp plus linkage and my console. When i put it in reverse the shifter is hitting the left side of the console shifter plate . I have the console fastened to the dash only at this time, I am at a loss here.

Is there a different hurst linkage for a console car?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  2. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

3. Car Nut

Car Nut In Second Gear

ya,, its a 4 speed manual (floor) with a console i installed .

4. 67XL390

67XL390 In Second Gear

Can't speak for the 69r but the 67 may be similar
    A 3"x5"rectangular opening for the stick in the center console
    The rubber that the Hurst boot is made of is so thick that along with the stick it
    takes up all the room in the console opening.
    What I did was
    I didn't fasten the shift boot to the floor
    this let the boot move around a little bit
    and seemed to help
    Unless your shifter is worn out which I doubt
    Mine has been doing it's job for more than 49 years and a couple hundred
    thousand miles.

Attached Files:

5. Car Nut

Car Nut In Second Gear

hmm hard to say the console is different for sure. I am working with David Kee toploader. He has some kits that allow the stock shifter stick to be mounted on a hurst shifter box . It looks like it moves the stick over to the RH side some more then the stock Comp plus shifter . I really only need the stick to be about 1/2 inch over to the right . Either way i am pretty sure I will be pulling this shifter out and buying another new one ..lol isn't car restoration so much fun .

6. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Got any pictures of the handle also dose it bolt on ti the shifter?

7. Car Nut

Car Nut In Second Gear

I will get a pic. But the shifter they sell that is for a 66-71 torino / ranchero the shiter stick is part of the shifter mechanism . It does not unbolt

8. super green dog

super green dog In Third Gear

Not sure if any of this makes a difference - but I believe the 69 four speed shifter was a one year only design. Am thinking (most contributors on this site are way more talented/knowledgeable then me...) Was told Ford went with Hurst in 70 and prior to 69 was different design.

9. Car Nut

Car Nut In Second Gear

Yes you are correct . 69 was a one off POS 4 speed linkage Ford put in everything that year ( car wise) . Dave Kee Toploaders is making me up a hurst base with a offset and i get to bolt my OEM shifter stick on it. He does it for mustangs . I found on Speed Dawg a black hurst 4 speed knob . And i get to pick to have a 1/2 20 thread pitch. Can wait to get it.

Anyone with a 68-69 with a 4 speed looking to put in a stock console I would not recommend the the stock hurst offering for farline/ torino /Ranchero . You will in all likelihood regret it like did.

It appears that back in the day they did some hurst shifters in 69-70 . I have seen a couple on ebay. They had a way bigger offset and you actually had bolt on shifter stick. Some were hurst and round,

10. super green dog

Good luck w the conversion! I'm actually swapping a C6-to- toploader as well. Due to recent events - things got delayed... Anyway, basically have all the components, just have to finish rebuilding my new/used clutch & brake pedal assy. I'm not be putting in a OEM or after market console, so am thinking shouldn't have the alignment/fit issue - my Hurst 4-speed will come right off the transmission hump. FYI - also have an S code GT w 390, mine came w C6, buckets, & front disc's. NOTE: some folks I've talked told me I'll need a different starter... (to support auto vs. std trans.) Not sure that's true or they're full of it... - but getting a new starter is relatively easy & should be able to scramble to pick one up locally or on-line supplier... Good luck!

11. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Auto and standard starters usually have a different amount of "throw" built into them. Small block AT is supposed to be .590-.625, whereas the standard trans starter is only .460.

12. Car Nut

Car Nut In Second Gear

Nice. I didn't know a c6 was available in 69 . I thought they were FMX . I dont know about the starter but it may be true because of the bell housing and the flexplate . vs a bell housing and flywheel. May be a depth difference .

Do you have a stock console?

13. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

IIRC, if you couldn't source a specific starter, a shim would get you in the ballpark with an AT starter. I've only seen it once, it was on a 351C in a '54 sedan delivery, and it had a manual trans, but the shop couldn't find an MT starter, so the shim had to stay. I think it kept the factory bolts, also.

14. super green dog

Phil & Andy - thanks! Any idea wrt an FE? (Thought it might be a fitment or clocking issue - will keep a close eye on the throw...)
    Nut - mine did not come with or has a console, which I think look great. But, locating & installing a decent OEM console & components was a journey & seemed expensive. So my plan is to have the Hurst come through the carpet between the buckets - which I also like.

15. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That was the common way they were set up, as consoles were an extra not many people paid for. It's not snazzy, but with the correct pieces, it'll look period-correct.

16. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

With the throw concern in mind... If you don't have to change the flywheel, or as long as the flywheels are the same diameter, then you shouldn't need to change the starter. Particularly for FE to FE conversion. My understanding of the starters, was that you wanted a HD starter, due to the proximity to the exhaust manifold. More so for the 428CJ stock manifolds, as the right side manifold all but wraps around the starter.

Nut - of the 183 Ranchero GT's that came with 428CJ/Ram Air, 101 came with C6 trans. Even the 390 cars that I know about have C6's. I could be wrong, probably am, but based on what I have seen FMX's were primarily used in small block applications.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  17. super green dog

Yep - my 390 GT came from the factory w a C6.