Rear break Hoses. . .

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Matt Winters, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Matt Winters

Matt Winters In Second Gear

Can someone help me understand the break hoses in the rear. When searching Rock Auto, I see front, and rear center. I understand the front, they are self explanatory. However, the rear seams like there is more than I can understand. I look under the vehicle and I cannot quite tell what is going on. 1976 Ford Ranchero GT

2. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

If it's like most cars, the metal line for the rear brakes terminates just before the rear axle, then attaches to a short rubber line that connects to the metal brake line across the rear axle to each rear brake cylinder. Since the rear axle moves up & down, you can't have a solid line attached to it. Here's a shot of my '65:

rear axle lines.jpg

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    The Wrench and Jeff B like this.
  3. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

69 pretty much the same as above, except the line from the front to the rear runs down the passenger side.

4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yes, older drum brake axles did not need separate flex hoses for each side; one line delivers fluid to a splitter block, which then feeds each wheel cylinder at the same time. So our cars only have three total hoses.

5. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Beerbelly, please excuse me for being "that" guy, but in your pic the jackstands holding up the front,
    upload_2021-3-23_20-48-58.png
    are they from Harbor Freight? If they are, they have a safety recall on certain models of that style. If not, carry on.

6. beerbelly

Thanks for the concern Jeff B, but those are a brand new set of Craftsman 3 ton. I sure am glad I now have a garage where this was shot; I did the whole underside of the car on my back, in the dirt.

Jeff B likes this.
  7. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Maximum Overdrive

That's why it's called a dirty job

The Wrench likes this.
  8. beerbelly

...but someone has to do it. :D