Power steering

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Wally62, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Wally62

Wally62 In Second Gear

Hi guys
    I need to put power steering on my 1965 ranchero v8 ,it has column change ,so do not want to change out the steering box . Does any company sell a complete kit ( ram ,pipes pump ect ,
    Ps I live in England so I can just go to summit
    Thanks Wally 62

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

'65 will have the separate 'power piston' steering assist setup, unlike '72-'79, so it's a matter of sourcing the complete setup, plus you'll need the frame bracket for the ram's piston end. If someone can post up a pic of the setup, I think that'll help him see what is needed.

3. Wally62

Wally62 In Second Gear

Looking I have the frame bracket ,still on the frame .
    A diagram would be help full as I have not manual

4. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

Attached Files:

5. Wally62

Wally62 In Second Gear

Thank buddy ,I have been looking and have seen control valves where do they fit on the system as no parts list on that diagram you kindly sent me

Stay safe

6. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

The ram style power steering uses parts that are unique to only that version. That control valve screws onto the drivers side end of the center link and get's it's signal to apply boost from the valve that is attached to the steering box pitman arm. The center link is completely different from the manual steering version in that it has the control valve on one end and a provision for the ram cylinder to bolt onto it. The tie rods will be different too having different lengths and bends to clear the ram cylinder. In many vehicles the idler arm on the passenger side is also a different length and holds the center link at a different angle from the manual version. In the recent past there were businesses selling the complete system as a package in the US. What you will need will be similar to what fits a 1965 Mustang. Search the internet or find a "Hemmings" magazine to find those who sell a complete changover for your vehicle.

7. Wally62

Wally62 In Second Gear

Thanks guys

8. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

Per the diagram I provided, 65/66 Mustang uses the same system.

You can take the part numbers off the diagram, search for that part number at National parts Depot, you should find what you are looking for. It's not 100%, but might help you put that list together.

9. Wally62

Wally62 In Second Gear

Thanks again looks like I may have found a ram ,some linkages and pipes in England all used but it’s a start
    Does any body know the steering pump pressure?.
    Thanks Mark

10. Saff54

Saff54 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Wally,check out chockostangclassicmustang.com,old timer,great guy,he can get you a complete setup,I was having a hell of a time with my power steering and he set me up with everything I needed and it fit perfectly

11. handy_andy_cv64

P/S pressure, IIRC, is in the 1100-1500 PSI range, unless I'm thinking the integral hydraulic gearbox? It's been many years since I dealt with power steering line pressure.

12. Wally62

Wally62 In Second Gear

Come on guys what’s the power steering pump pressure as I have spent hours online but still unable to find it.
    Help

13. Hillbilly

Someone who has the factory shop manuals handy can look that up for you. I do know this = The slave cylinder power steering systems use a lower pressure output pump than the systems that use integral steering boxes like on newer cars. I made that mistake once swapping a higher pressure pump while replacing a low pressure pump that was leaking. The pumps look identical but can be identified by the id tag under the output pipe nipple. The high pressure pump will make your steering ultra sensitive and react way too fast to be safe to drive.

14. handy_andy_cv64

I thought I might've been wrong. It's good that you clarified what the results of an incorrect pump could be. I drove a late friend's '70 Ranchero once, and it felt a bit touchy with the original pump and ram.

15. Hillbilly

Andy, due to hardly any parts house denzins knowing that two different output pumps were in use, some of the local guys resorted to Rube Goldberg solutions to reduce the line pressure issue. Some of them even used the same system to get more road feel out of their twitchy stock steering systems. It consisted of tapping into the high pressure line out of the pump, then adding a valve to adjust how much fluid they wanted to by-pass back into the return line to the pump reservoir. You could then regulate how much assist the ram system added regardless of which pump you were stuck with. I thought it was a neat idea. On my 70 and 71 Torinos I did the Shelby drop of lowering the upper "A" arm mounting bolts one inch and adding a bit more caster to give more return to center line feel. It really helped when running 8" by 15" Magnum rims on the front.

16. handy_andy_cv64

That sounds pretty ideal, having a variable valve. I wonder, though, how pressure would be if a hydroboost was plumbed in?

17. Wally62

Wally62 In Second Gear

Pump pressure any body

18. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I remember seeing bypass valves being sold for when dropping (gasp!) a GM product into a Ford chassis. I seem to remember 600psi, ford, 900-1200 gm. But that was a long time ago so not sure of the numbers. A gm pump on a ford hydroboost? Maybe oversensitive brakes?

19. Hillbilly

It's the same hydroboost on a GM as it is for a Ford, just different mounting plates and master cylinders. Look close and you see GM / Saginaw steering pumps from the factory on Fords with the hydroboost. Cross pollenation is very common in US auto makers. Look up what was under a 1963 or 1964 Chevy Impala for power steering and think about what interchanges. GM went to higher pressure integral power steering boxes in 1965 as did Ford on the full size cars. Those bypass valve kits let you use the steering pump from 1965 and newer GMs in both older GM and Ford apps.

20. Car Nut

Car Nut In Second Gear