Towing?

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by DZG, Apr 6, 2021.

1. DZG

DZG In Second Gear

Its been a while since ive posted about getting my LTD II going and while that project has currently stalled im curious about something else....

In the near future im selling my massive 30ft travel trailer and possibly my 97 F250 HD i use to tow it with....i got my 87 ranger that literally can handle any hauling duties i may encounter.

But heres my question...id like to "replace" my F250 with an old truck, but then i keep seeing 77-79 rancheros popping up for sale. Having owned my LTD II for many years i like the style and comfort of these era vehicles....

Would a ranchero (or possibly, if i went this route a fullsize 70s LTD) be ok towing say, a 16ft landscape/car trailer with 2 quads on it?

The quads are polaris sportsmans, pretty sure around 750 or so a piece (1500lbs) and a trailer i doubt would be over 2000lbs (so lets say 3500 total).

If i went ranchero id be looking at 351 or 400 cars, and big LTD 400/460 cars. I know the suspension on these are soft as hell but whats your guys opinion?

Thanks!

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

YES! A Ranchero is classed as a truck, and even just with a 351M or W, you could tow with it, for the weights you specify. Actually, either a Ranchero or an LTD II wagon would fit the bill.

A few things to consider, though:
    1) you'll need a stout transmission. An FMX is not a good candidate, but can be replaced with a C6 from any '70s car with a 351M, 400 or 460 without a swap of flexplate. And I'd recommend an aux cooler, such as for an RV, to supplant the factory cooler.
    2) consider an electrical upgrade, battery, starter, alternator, electric fan and cables. They will all perform better than their '70s elder siblings, especially in a high-heat condition from towing.
    3) an efficient radiator.

In combo, these mods will make towing a much smaller deal, parts are much newer and more accessible, and still do it with a dollop of style.

DZG likes this.
  3. handy_andy_cv64

If you were going to tow up to a Ranchero's limit, you already have the 11" rear brakes, so just upgrade the shoes, as well as the front pads, and use a synthetic DOT3 fluid, like Valvoline's SynPower fluid, which has a 500+° boiling point.

DZG likes this.
  4. DZG

DZG In Second Gear

I didnt figure 3500 lbs would be to much for one but i wasnt sure, seeing as how i know my LTD II is built overall stouter then say, a ranger that can eaisly handle 3500.

As far as the suspension goes do they make HD coils for these? Or would air shocks be a better route?

I always thought the FMX fell between the C4 and C6 for durabilty. I might try it with a massive cooler and then if it dumps out put in a C6. Id really like to find a 400 if i went ranchero or with a big LTD. Probably my favorite V8 ford built.

The engine cooling stuff i went thru with my 77 F250 when i towed my 30ft camper with it, New alum radiator and fan clutch it never got hot towing...and that was 7000+lbs with a 400/C6/3.07 rear.

Would this be advisable even with trailer brakes?

5. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Yes, you want the optimum performance in your tow vehicle brakes. The trailer brakes do help considerably but the tow vehicle provides the majority of the stopping power. Trailer brakes are intended to keep the trailer stopping in a straight line behind the tow vehicle but a properly set up controller relieves a big part of the tow vehicles brake loading even in normal use. Many large dually pickups come with very nice transmission coolers if you can check in to your local salvage yards.

6. handy_andy_cv64

I had looked at a late-model Dodge cooler once, and I figured it was too wide for the opening, but I suppose, if you can get air across the full width anyway, it could still work. But I'd rather put a modern aftermarket cooler in, simply because of its compact size.

As for the transmissions, while torque capacity puts the FMX between the C4 and C6, they have a tendency to lose second gear (or at least my '74 Squire was losing second), and C4s are a candidate for buildups, but realistically, only for racing.

7. Hillbilly

Look at some of the Ford coolers Andy. Really nice stacked plate versions.

8. handy_andy_cv64

I'll have to take a closer look. When you're bashing out a customer's rig because they're a 'waiter,' wanting it 'yesterday,' you don't get a bunch of time to look things over. So, the SD trucks only? Or all post-OBS rigs?

9. Hillbilly

F-150 and up can have the good ones.

10. handy_andy_cv64

11. lanny

lanny In Second Gear

DZG, I tow my vintage trailer, approx. 2,000 lbs., with a load of camping equipment (bed pretty full) with my '73, 351 2bbl and FMX. I live in North Idaho with lots of grades. Car does a great job both pulling and stopping. I changed out the rear coils to MOOG progressives, added air shocks and a rear sway bar. I do not use an equalizer hitch and my tongue weight is about 190 lbs. However, you may want to as your load would be almost double.