dash pad question

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by 65restomod, Jun 11, 2020.

1. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I got my radio back from https://www.randbvintageautoradio.com and installed along with the new kick panels from Rhino Fabrication with speaker cutouts.
    I am in the process of reinstalling the Deluxe padded dash and I cant't seem to get the pad to compress enough when pushing it straight back towards the windshield to get the clips to lock into the dash.
    I have looked in the service manual and on line and all say to start on pass side push in and lock in each clip one at a time.
    I think this pad was replace once already but not sure .
    My question : Is the pad supposed to have some compression characteristics to aid in installation?
    Also instructions say using a second person will aid in installation, but I just have the wife and it will lead to some issues ( if you know what I mean).
    Any offers or suggestion will be appreciated.
    TX

2. 65restomod

Anybody?

3. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Sorry, it's been 12 years since I did mine, and memory ain't what it used to be. :oops::( I don't friggin remember.

4. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Can you post a picture of the underside of your dash, and the area you are trying to push it into?

5. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

On my 69...

It helps to rotate the pad up slightly... so that the clips are facing down at an slight angle... then push down and forward. It would be helpful with two people... wife's attempts to help greatly appreciated... but if you position yourself in the center, it can be done... with practice.

6. 65restomod

Yea that's easy for you to say
    I think the pad has lost some of its flexibility ( just like a lot of us old people)
    Instructions state several attempts may be needed
    I know the thing about rotating it up slightly , starting on the pass. side I was able to get about 4 clips in and then the those clips popped out of the channel on the pad
    I going to try again in a few days when it is warm enough laying the pad out in the sun and see what happens.
    May have to have the wife help.

7. SouthCarolinaRanchero

SouthCarolinaRanchero In Third Gear

Get a new wife......oh wait....sorry, that wasn't what you meant. :D

8. 65restomod

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  9. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Maximum Overdrive

10. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

Instrument Specialties refurbished mine... looks like new. might be an option depending on the cost of an aftermarket.

11. 65restomod

12. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Maximum Overdrive

I don't have one on mine and have never installed one so I ain't much use... o_O

13. rocco611

rocco611 In First Gear

last one I did one it didn't go on easy. I think the problem is the clips dont quite reach the slots without putting a lot of pressure on the front face of the pad. , I started in the middle , reached under the dash and manipulated the pad until I could feel the clip in the slot. (if your hand will fit through the radio opening it may help to remove the radio to feel for the clips, I seem to remember mine didnt so I reached under the dash ). then it took a lot of hand pressure to seat the clip. it was winter time , I started by heating the back of the pad with a heat gun. mark the top of the pad with the locations of the clips with masking tape so you know where to focus pressure to seat the clips. hope this helps

14. 65restomod

That's where I'm at, last time I tried it was by myself with a older replacement pad that someone else installed previously.
    It was not very hot out and the foam didn't flex much.
    I am waiting on a new pad, will paint it and let it cure and then set it out in full sun to bake and possibly soften the pad and hopefully a second person to help.
    I like the suggestion of marking it up for clip position.
    More to follow!