Spark Plugs

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Matt Winters, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Matt Winters

Matt Winters In Second Gear

Rock Auto spark plugs mishap. I've got Autolite 26s instead of 24s. Issues? Worth replacing with 24s or motor raft?

2. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

not worth changing.

The Wrench likes this.
  3. Matt Winters

Will there be issues with it running too lean? Must I rejet the carburator or anything?

4. pmrphil

nope. the heat range of the plug reflects the ability of the plug to retain heat. a slightly warmer plug will probably show no difference.

5. Matt Winters

Thank you for your help.

6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Just listen for any spark knock during driving, and engine 'run on' after shutdown. Hotter plugs can contribute to those conditions.

7. Matt Winters

This is why I asked initially; engine is definitely running on after shutdown.

8. Matt Winters

This is why I asked initially; engine is definitely running on after shutdown.

9. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

You might want to do a Seafoam cleaning; any carbon in the cylinder, if it's kept hot, will keep igniting fuel coming in. Hotter plugs can contribute to that. Get rid of the carbon, it makes run-on harder to sustain.

10. pmrphil

Idle being too high, and ignition timing too far advanced are most likely the problem - one range hotter plug can't cause that. But a high compression engine will do that if the octane rating is too low, causing you to reduce the timing to make it stop.

The Wrench likes this.
  11. The Wrench

The Wrench In Second Gear

I agree with pmrphil , one range hotter plugs are not going to cause the run on problem. Definitely check base timing and curb idle. Hopefully you will find your problem there. P.S. you might try a tank of higher octane fuel just for shits & and giggles. The Wrench

Buds 67 likes this.