engine cut out/now runs fine???

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Dan the ranchero man, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

Driving the 74 ranchero to a friends house get about 12 miles from home and engine cuts out. restarts with no issue but will not stay running for more than 30 seconds to one minute. have car flat bed home. cars starts at home but will not idle smooth and when RPMs are brought up it has a clear miss and is backfiring from exhaust and again will not stay running. Could not mess with it anymore had to continue with other business. now 4 days later check coil and its good check fuel level, good (holley with sight plug) have car running starts right up and runs fine in shop for over a half and hour. bring up rpms to 2500 and hold for over 5 min to get things hot. headers glow a little but car runs fine no cutting out. recheck fuel level and it's fine. thought maybe the spark box or the ignition pick up in the distributor. fuel leaning out??? But now it's running and can't find anything with it :(. Don't trust it now to go anywhere already have one $150 tow bill don't want to do that again. any thoughts? need the car for a project (my summer home project hauler) and can't trust it now.

2. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

3. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Check inside of cap/rotor,maybe spark arc.Moisture?Water if fuel/old fuel.Plugged up idle circuit in carb? Mandatory to always carry spare duraspark mod in cubby...They are cheap.

4. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

+1 on possible moisture in the fuel. The weather is changing. How about fuel tank venting? Don't know a thing about the Durasparks.

5. Dan the ranchero man

Fuel is fine fresh tank that was already used half way. spark box is a newer replacement ( year old maybe?) but I know that don't mean anything. will get another one.

The Wrench likes this.
  6. franmosso

franmosso In Fourth Gear

I had an old Ford van that did the same thing, ended up being the spark box.

7. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Ignition related, your description does not sound like it's fuel related. If it was fuel (water) the misfire would not go away.

8. Dan the ranchero man

Thanks for your suggestions. Sounds like Dan will be buying a spark box!

9. pmrphil

Just a thought - when headers glow, it's usually a sign that the fuel is burning on it's way out, not in the chamber like it should be. If it was lean (without a load on it) you shouldn't see a glow.

10. Dan the ranchero man

Ok replaced spark box and ran car and did some voltage checking. Car ran great for over an hour in barn vacuum steady and RPMs solid at 700. Coil voltage when running is 5.5 volts and not running with coil disconnected is 7.5. starting voltage is a full 12 volts. I have never paid much attention to this until now but both the coil and the spark box get pretty hot. I would call the box very warm and the coil to hot to touch. The top of the engine didn't even get that hot and I had the hood open the whole time and it was pretty cool under the hood. Should I be concerned? Just for laughs I checked one of the other cars and the coil voltage was a bit higher. I had 6.5 at the coil when running and 10 volts disconnected and full 12 at start up and while running and nothing ever got too hot to touch. need this car to reliable using for a project and don't want a repeat of a week ago (flatbed home) Thoughts please. Thanks Dan

11. pmrphil

Coil shouldn't get that hot, that's a reasonably inexpensive changeout.

12. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I agree, the coil should not get too hot to touch, when the hood's left open. And, I've never been too keen on having it on top of the engine anyway. I'm sure there's an engineering reason for it, but oh, well.

13. Dan the ranchero man

Ok replaced coil with known good unit. But first I ran both the t bird and the 79 ranchero for one half hr then checked coils. all three cars have the same dura spark system. the 79 was warm the t bird was warm the 74 ranchero would make my skin Sissle when I touched it :eek: way too hot! yet all three cars have 6 v at coil when running. all three cars run good and show no signs of any issues. but the 74 rancheros coil gets so hot and I just can't pinpoint it. If I decide to drive it this way I know I am asking for another flatbed ride home. Still need your thoughts on this one has me slightly puzzled. could the pick up in the dizzy cause something like this? how would I check that one with a meter?

14. pmrphil

OK, I'm baffled. The pickup should not be able to do that, as it's only a magnetic trigger that doesn't see power. Is there a GOOD ground engine to chassis/battery? That's the only other place I can think of possibly being the culprit.

The Wrench likes this.
  15. Dan the ranchero man

I was just asking about the pickup. I was thinking the same. I will check grounds but everything else has proper voltage.

16. handy_andy_cv64

Remember, both cylinder heads have grounds at the back (harness wire driver's side, braided strap to firewall passenger side), and the main cable goes from the passenger side front of the block, to the frame, then to the negative battery post.

17. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Must have high resistance somewhere in the circuit?Does the dizzy have a ground wire like old points set-up.What voltage do you get at high rpm on coil?Seen furbar voltage regulator cause ignition issues.

18. Dan the ranchero man

Thanks I will check that all out. took it out today and it runs great. just that damn coil get so smokin hot!!!:eek:

19. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

How much spark plug gap are you running Dan ? Too wide a gap on just one plug will make a coil get hot. I learned to crank the gap down to around .040" to keep from melting my ignition systems.

20. handy_andy_cv64

Since all three are Duraspark-equipped, the spec is .042-.046. Babe runs that with Autolite 25's, IIRC, and I don't have any problems with the module or coil (I've rested my arm on it when the engine's freshly shut down, and it's really warm, but not hot). How lean is the carburetion? Leaned-out mixture can drive up secondary voltage.

The Wrench likes this.