Does this price make sense?

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Ranchero Newbie, May 6, 2021.

1. Ranchero Newbie

Ranchero Newbie In Second Gear

2. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

You won't get an estimate without some more info and some pictures of the car. I have bought 61's for as little as $300.00 but it depends on the condition of the car.
    Greg

3. Ranchero Newbie

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  4. Minotaur

Minotaur In Third Gear

The color of the valve cover and air cleaner makes me think it has a '66 or later 200.
    If it were a 144 it would be a lighter shade of blue, a 170 more of an orange red, and a pre '66 200 would be red as well.
    Also there was never a manual floor shift 3-speed on Falcon era Rancheros, it would be on the column.
    The body does look to be decent and they obviously worked on the interior.
    Big empty hole where the radio would be cuz they mounted it in the console, and why is the ignition switch hanging under the dash?
    I'd make a low-ball offer of $4K if it ran and drove good, just to test their response.
    It doesn't have to be original, but those mods might have been their cup of tea and not yours, don't pay extra for it.

5. Ranchero Newbie

Useful advice. Red flags are starting to go up. This vehicle sounding like Frankenstein, with a lot of experimental adjustments by who knows how many cooks. I will take for a test spin, if he still has it, this Saturday and report back. But I am not liking this so much now.

6. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Maximum Overdrive

I'd be wanting to see the inner rockers , floor and lower quarter panels for rust or crappy repair. If rust free that's worth something. Everything else is simple bolt-on stuff. The console looks to be a homemade wooden box, probably covering up a big hacked up hole for the shifter to fit. Motor and trans possibly out of 65 Mustang, nothing special about that.

7. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

As you might guess, any inexpensive car that's 60 years old has probably been messed with. Overall, it doesn't look too bad, but I'd recommend 3 things if you go check it out:
    1. Ask them to remove the bed access panel to check for rust & holes
    2. Bring a magnet to check all around the body, especially the rear lower quarters and the lower front fenders
    3. If you can lift the carpet anywhere, do it to check for rust & holes
    When I checked on my car, I brought a tool box, a camera, overalls & a jack so I could crawl around underneath. And cash.

Buds 67, Saff54 and Kiwirancher like this.
  8. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Maximum Overdrive

BB's advice 2x...

9. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

Hagerty Valuation tool suggests:

#4 Fair Condition: $5,900
    "#4 vehicles are daily drivers, with flaws visible to the naked eye. The chrome might have pitting or scratches, the windshield might be chipped. Paintwork is imperfect, and perhaps the body has a minor dent. Split seams or a cracked dash, where applicable, might be present. No major parts are missing, but the wheels could differ from the originals, or other non- stock additions might be present. A #4 vehicle can also be a deteriorated restoration. "Fair" is the one word that describes a #4 vehicle."

#3 Good: $10,700
    #3 vehicles could possess some, but not all of the issues of a #4 vehicle, but they will be balanced by other factors such as a fresh paint job or a new, correct interior where applicable. #3 vehicles drive and run well, but might have some incorrect parts. These vehicles are not used for daily transportation but are ready for a long tour without excuses, and the casual passerby will not find any visual flaws. "Good" is the one word description of a #3 vehicle.

10. Ranchero Newbie

I do appreciate the advice. Right now my enthusiasm is getting a cold bucket of water, which is a good thing. Sincerely, thank you. I will report back on how it went. I am to see it today.

11. Ranchero Newbie

Well, tracked it down. The engine was nicely warmed so that it wouldn't give any issues starting it. I took a few photos, poked around the body and found the body to be remarkably clean, but obviously someone had tried to paint it, and that was a no go. But no rust around the window seals, rocker panels, fenders. California car.

I drove the rather peculiar 3 on the floor, with a clutch pedal that came up half the way to my waist, the pedals looking like they had come off a school bus. A little clutch chatter in first, but no slippage, and I tried to make it slip. Once up on the interstate I was surprised how easily the car obtained 55 to 60 MPH, without the usual whining and over speeding one usually hears on a three speed.

It dawned on me, fairly quickly, that driving over 30 MPH was not such a great idea, as the car, while moving without much effort, was laterally slipping around as if it was upon marbles. Then the brakes as I exited were a bit of a novelty, with a hard pull to the right.

So, impression is that the engine, probably Mustang, as someone noted, and transmission, also probably Mustang as it seemed well matched, were reasonably strong. No weird noises coming from the differential. Of everything else- only one of the dummy lights worked, no signals, windshield wiper feeble, no brake lights, only one head light worked, no marker lights, wires hanging down from under the dash.

The center console was exactly as predicted: a box that someone had placed to conceal the ragged hole where the shift extended into.

The dude wanted $7500. I told him that it would required probably about $10K to put it back together, and that I'd have to pass. He asked me how much I was willing to offer, and the 40 Benjamins in my back pocket shrieked in horror, and I told him I didn't want to insult him with a low offer. Frankly, I personally would do maybe $500, period. This car will require a devoted Ranchero guy who dearly loves a challenge. Every single thing would require overhaul top to bottom. Just no body work, short of a decent paint job. Not for me. Been down that path; not a happy ending.

The CL link is available for looking if this steaming crock is of interest to anyone. I think this guy is smoking too much Ganja if he thinks anyone is going to pay anything remotely close to his ask.

https://elpaso.craigslist.org/cto/d/el-paso-1961-ford-ranchero/7315142816.html

Got some photos, will post later. Thank you all for kindly keeping from being stupid twice.

12. Boiler92

Boiler92 In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I don't think any Ranchero is worth it from a cost to restore vs restored value.

I see some "nice" ones around for $10 or $15k or more that don't sell or sell quickly with multiple price cuts and I know the sellers have more than that in them even if their labor is "free".

The ones from $500 to $5000 or whatever need $15-20k worth of work or more if you have to hire some of the work done.

13. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Ahhh, the old "nicely warmed up" trick, so you don't see it belching blue smoke when it's started cold. The hunt continues, and now you know more of what to look for.

14. Ranchero Newbie

Yeah, this thing is not for me. Still struggling with the Avatar image at left. Sort of getting there, and sort of not. The transmission cooler burped a large quantity of
    fluid onto the nice, clean cement. Couple more 10K and I'll be there.

15. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

It's good to go look and learn. It took me 6 months of looking, every day, emails, calls, etc. to find the one I finally got. Went and looked at a few, all could eventually been fixed, but at what cost. Went to see a '71 with my son and after looking at it I passed. During the process of looking he did not really say much, but told me after we left that he was relieved because he did not want to have to smack me.

Lincolnut and Ranchero Newbie like this.
  16. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Maximum Overdrive

Keep looking , you'll find one...just be careful of rust-buckets that have been "covered" up unless you want to do the fixing yourself....paying somebody to do the work will eat up a budget very quickly!

17. Ranchero Newbie

Fools rush in where angles fear to tread. Not in the angel category myself, but I do like the design of the thing. I like the simplicity of it, I like the half car-half pick up sort of thing. Now if I can just get it to stop bleeding precious bodily fluids all over the place I might have something.

18. 6delta

6delta In Fourth Gear

It does sound as though his price was set high so he could either get what is was worth or maybe score big with someone who bought on impulse. One of those where you offer 1/4 of the ask then meet in the middle kind of deals. It is wise to say you don't want to insult him if you are not interested. When I read your "review" I wondered if the it may have had really old, or even bias ply tires? Either one could make it drive as if on marbles even it all the suspension parts are new, which they probably were not.. Have you driven stock, not modifieda 1960's vehicle lately? I know it had been decades since I had a 4 wheel drum brake vehicle when I bought my 1st 1970 Ranchero. While I did not really notice the difference my son and daughter sure did. They had no idea what I meant when I said at least it has power brakes. I would think that now if you do find a 1960 era vehicle with absolutely no rust holes in it it is worth at least $500.00 just for parts. (All the salvage yards seem to agree with me on that point I guess.) Unless you are desperate for a new project just keep looking. When the right one comes along you will know it. At lease you can have

19. Ranchero Newbie

Right, at the end of the day it is worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. If Jay Leno wanted a '61 to add to his collection, there'd be no issue. It just rankled me a bit that they guy implied what a great shape the vehicle was in. It ran, and barely could stop, barely could steer. No rust. That's not great shape. The front tires, btw, were severely cambered. Every aspect of the steering was loose and rusted. Particularly in El Paso, he will have trouble finding someone wishing to spend 20K on a car that in mint restored state might fetch 10K on a very happy day.