Bears, What Bears ?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Hillbilly, Aug 16, 2021.

1. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Had to make a banshee run to Florida to check on progress on getting a house ready to sell and pick up some furnature the wife wanted brought back from her father's estate. Noticed new signs warning of bear crossings and thought to myself " That's crazy, what are bears doing in a heavily populated area like Mary Esther, Fla. right on the Gulf of Mexico ?" Well, while I was loading some of the household furnishings I heard an odd noise coming from the back yard. I eased thru the house and look at what I found checking out the back yard - - - bear at florida house.jpg Fence means nothing to bears.

TestDummy likes this.
  2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Almost daily occurrence at Casa de Dummy. Here's a little guy trying to get into my garbage can, which I have successfully made bear proof.

PRMS8603.JPG

Hillbilly likes this.
  3. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Around here they like swimming pools, fruit trees and trash cans.

TestDummy and Hillbilly like this.
  4. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Hillbilly and TestDummy like this.
  5. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

I have been told that an electrical fence will stop them (youtube). Might make it difficult for others, though.

6. TestDummy

I installed a 7,000v electric fence around a friends bee hives. He was afraid of 7k volts. Hahahaha.

7. Hillbilly

Need the old style "Weed Chopper" fencers. Animals can sense the electricity before they touch the fence thus they back off. Accidently tested one of those fences powered by a fencer meant to power a 100 miles of fence, hit like a sledge hammer teaching me immense respect instantly. I would say those would get respect from bears too.

8. TestDummy

You can hear this one pulsing against weeds and such. It's a scary sound.

9. Hillbilly

He got one of the good ones. Growing up, I had an ass of a cousin who would grab you by the arm then grab the electric fence. He hardly got shocked but the person he grabbed got the full load from the fencer. Quickly learned to stay clear of him if a fence was anywhere nearby. My concern was the possibility of the fence causing grass fires and that has happened. After one near disaster we took to clearing the path of the fence with weed-eaters. Yeah, I wouldn't go near the fences unless I knew the fencer was turned off. Odd thing even with so many bears near my place, I have yet to see one on my place in Tennessee. Got every other critter but no bears yet.

10. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Oh, I thought you said "beers"; never mind...

Hillbilly likes this.
  11. Hillbilly

beerbelly likes this.