Steering box

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Snoopy, Nov 7, 2021.

1. Snoopy

Snoopy In First Gear

Sorry for the daft question, but I want to replace the steering on my 78, as it goes where it wants to at the moment.
    Looked in Rock auto site and there seems to be a number of choices. How do I tell if it’s a Ford gear or Saginaw?

thanks for the help in advance

Barry

2. thebruins

thebruins In Third Gear

Get under the car and read the part number :)

3. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

Make sure it's the not the rag joint rather than the steering gear. Those commercial rag joints are bad to fail and yes, "it goes where it wants" when the rag is shot.

rancheromac likes this.
  4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Okay, on the intermediates, like your 78 and my 79, Ford did not use rag joints, they molded urethane around the joint. It can be rebuilt, using a rag joint, but you have to buy some hardware, and cut off pieces, in order to fit the rag joint, then bolt it down. Use the forum's search function, look at threads posted in the last five or six years, as I have posted photos of Babe's steering shaft assembly with that rag joint installed. And, the specific size rag joint I used was a Dorman Help! product. Of course, there were three or four sizes, it was on the smaller end of the scale.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  5. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Saginaw box has 4 bolts on top cover plate,ford box 2 bolts.Inspect all steering components,ball joints,bushing and rod ends for excessive play.

6. Snoopy

Snoopy In First Gear

Thanks guys very helpful
    I have gone over the rest of the joints and they seem ok, had some play in the steering coupling, but tightening the bolt seemed to help.
    Main areas now are about 10 to 15 degrees movement in the steering box input shaft before the pitman arm moves so I thought I would go through and change the major bits whilst I have some time.
    I also have some lost movement that seems to come from the tilt part of the steering column, so I need to do some erase arch as I have no idea how that works

thanks again for the help

7. handy_andy_cv64

The tilt is actuated with the turn signal stalk. Push away from you perpendicularly to the turn signal functions till you hear a click, then lift or lower.

8. lovejoy

lovejoy In Second Gear

Ah, another Brit with a 78 ! Hi Snoopy, looks like you bought that one from the Norfolk dealer?
    I am down in sunny Darzet
    Welcome to the Ranchero forum, great bunch of helpful guys here !

9. Snoopy

Snoopy In First Gear

Hi love joy
    No, I got it from a guy near St Albans.
    Certainly seems to be a nice bunch here, which is handy as I know almost nothing about these cars.

10. Snoopy

Snoopy In First Gear

11. Snoopy

Snoopy In First Gear

Just for clarity.
    I thought this steering joint was a rag joint? If so could it have been swapped in for the original at some point?
    Cheers
    upload_2021-11-15_8-29-15.jpeg

12. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

Looks like a replacement rag to me. Difficult to tell from this photo. Can you tell if it is torn when rotating the steering wheel back and forth?

This is a photo from a 1975 Ranchero. I don't know if Ford changed the assembly after 1976.
    [​IMG]

13. Snoopy

Snoopy In First Gear

No it looks pretty much new.
    With the steering lock ON there is about 10 to 15 deg slop, which does not appear to be present at the bottom of the column

14. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

Looking at the pic, it appears the coupler isn't installed far enough onto the steering gear's input shaft. Maybe it's my eyes, but I see splines below the coupler, that shouldn't be the case. Hope I am wrong.

15. Snoopy

Snoopy In First Gear

Well spotted.
    Cars in the bodyshop this week, but I will have a good look when I get it back

cheers

16. handy_andy_cv64

Yeah, that has to be a replacement. Also, of course, when properly installed, it should have a 12-point headed bolt to secure it; is the bolt there? In my mind, I'm thinking it's loose or just plain gone, and the coupler is jumping the shaft splines.

17. Snoopy

Snoopy In First Gear

Yep it’s a 12 sided bolt and it’s tight, I got about 1/2 a turn on it when I first got the car, the movement is above that.
    If I get some to stop the shaft moving at that joint I get still get the movement at the wheel, it seems to be coming from the area of the tilt.
    I need to get into that, but I have never tried working on a column, so it’s a trip into the dark

cheers

18. handy_andy_cv64

It's actually a pretty simple design, you shouldn't have too much trouble. And if you need parts, that specific column head design was used on 1980-1991 E-series vans, F-series trucks and Broncos. Babe's column head is actually from an '82 Club Wagon van, column-mounted shift quadrant and all.
    Anyway, if you have any questions about column disassembly, don't hesitate to reach out by PM to me.

19. Snoopy

Snoopy In First Gear

Many thanks
    As soon as I get it back from the bodyshop I will dig in

cheers