Brake lights

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Ran Man, Dec 24, 2021.

1. Ran Man

Ran Man In Fourth Gear

I took one of my tail lights off to clean and restore and after putting it back on i have no brake lights on either side. Any ideas what i could have done to turn this 30 minute project onto much more?

Reverse and running lights work just not brake lights.

2. 1978GT

1978GT In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Most likely just a coincidence. Your brake lights probably were not working prior to removing the one taillight.

If you don't have a helper available, cut an appropriate length of 2x4 to wedge between the brake pedal and the steering wheel to activate the switch. Then, start trouble shooting by checking for ground and +12V at the sockets. If no +12V, the usual suspects are the brake light switch or the turn signal switch.

What else would you rather do on Christmas?

3. Ran Man

Ran Man In Fourth Gear

A nice present for sure

4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The '72-'79 lights use the back of the unit as a ground path for the sockets, which are metal. If you 'reconditioned it, perhaps something you used is insulating the sockets? As 1978GT said, run electrical diagnosis, but actually start with the fuse panel, ensure you have a good fuse, then use something to push and hold the brake pedal, and check for brake lamp power on the sockets. A 12 volt test light works pretty fast for telling you if you have power.

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  5. Ran Man

Ran Man In Fourth Gear

Andy I took some sandpaper to the sockets and around the holes and amazingly the brake lights started working. Merry Christmas everyone

6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

A minor Christmas miracle! Hallelujah!

7. lovejoy

lovejoy In Second Gear

And Ran Man said " Let there be Light(s) "
    Season's Greetings from across the pond !

8. Ran Man

Ran Man In Fourth Gear

Greetings Lovejoy