Need help finding headers or ideas on 79 ford ranchero 351 w

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Danberg1, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Danberg1

Danberg1 In Second Gear

Please help been trying rack my brain on what headers to use on 79 ford ranchero 351 w w stock starter or should i get a pro starter or a different starter like 95 ford i been researching different forms but cant get straight answers on if i use a stock short starter off 95 ford truck if so how do i wire it ? Please any help or pointers fellows and the headers i got right now are shorty driverside is fine but pass lays on starter flange part

rancheromac likes this.
  2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I have installed an early '90s PMGR (permanent magnet gear reduction) starter from a '90s truck on my '79 351W, and it's a great modification and uses off-the-shelf parts. I used the positive cable assembly from an early-90's Explorer 4.0 OHV engine, which provides not only a single cable assembly to both the fender solenoid and lower starter solenoid, but the lower solenoid trigger wire. I have photos on here in another thread, I think, but essentially, the long cable goes to the big post on the lower solenoid, the short cable goes to the fender solenoid's input stud, and the trigger wire is connected between the fender solenoid's output stud and the lower solenoid's trigger terminal. Just remember, you can use the older-style fender solenoid (I cut the plastic away from the cable ends that went on the Explorer's 'flat' fender solenoid to be able to connect everything), and I routed the long cable and trigger wire under the engine mount to keep them off the exhaust. That last item will help with whatever headers you install to keep the cable and wire away from it.

Oh, and ensure you get a starter that has a ring terminal trigger on the solenoid. The original spade terminals were junk.

Fleetwood77Ranchero likes this.
  3. Danberg1

Danberg1 In Second Gear

Can u provide me w pics please

4. Danberg1

Danberg1 In Second Gear

Can u provide me w pics and what year i can go with 90 to ? What motors

5. Danberg1

Danberg1 In Second Gear

Can it be maunal starter or auto.

6. handy_andy_cv64

It's auto, AFAIK. It came off a '92 Bronco 351W. So, basically, '92-96 Bronco 302/351W with AODE, 4R70W and small block C6. But I need to ask, which specific trans does yours have? My engine and trans (1979 351W and C4 from a Grand Marquis) will bolt up the PMGR starter with an excellent fitment, but if there's any differences between my drivetrain and your drivetrain, I can't guarantee a PMGR unit will fit yours. I took a gamble and shot a natural. Anyway, lemme see if I can find the thread. You can also use the forum's search function.

7. handy_andy_cv64

8. Danberg1

Danberg1 In Second Gear

The trans that came w 351 w motor originally it had a big block trans i was having trouble finding a 351 m motor so i found a 79 ford ranchero w complete motor and trans so i put that in instead

9. Danberg1

Danberg1 In Second Gear

It was getting ready to be crushed so i saved it for my 14 year old son

10. Danberg1

Danberg1 In Second Gear

Had no motor

11. handy_andy_cv64

That's cool, he'll hit the ground running, so to speak, when he gets his license. So the likelihood is that a PMGR starter will fit it. The only difference in mounting are the bolt lengths; I think the newer ones are longer. I'm still curious as to which actual trans it has, but if the donor car's gone, you'd have to go by description.

C4--separate bellhousing, with bolts inside to bolt housing and pump to case. Has a rectangular pan, and it may have the dipstick tube in the passenger side of the pan.

FMX--also has a separate bellhousing, but housing is held on externally by four bolts, two each on each side of the case. Trans pan is rectangular also, but long side's crosswise to trans centerline. Dipstick tube in passenger front case, directly behind the bellhousing.

C6--not likely to be installed, but I'm including it in case it's retrofitted from another vehicle. Bellhousing and case is one piece. Trans pan is nearly square, with one corner cut, like a cake with one piece removed. Dipstick tube in case.

AOD--like the C6, it could've been retrofitted from a newer vehicle. Trans is longer due to overdrive section, bellhousing/case one piece. Pan is rectangular with the rear corners cut at an angle, and has "METRIC" stamped into the pan. Dipstick tube in case.

Anyway, take a look, maybe shoot a couple pics (forum has 1MB max size on photos), and let's see if we can ID your transmission.

12. Danberg1

Danberg1 In Second Gear

Dipstick tube is bolt to pan i remember that

13. Danberg1

Danberg1 In Second Gear

What does pmgr starter mean

14. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Permanant magnet gear reduction. Spins faster than old style starters while weighing less and taking up less room. Great design improvement but you can't sit and grind on them because they will overheat if abused.

15. Danberg1

Danberg1 In Second Gear

Can it be maunal starter or has be a auto starter

16. Danberg1

Danberg1 In Second Gear

I appreciate all ur helping w me and taking patience

17. handy_andy_cv64

Since your trans is an automatic, when you obtain one, just go with one for an automatic.

18. Hillbilly

Was gonna' say that the PMGR starter manufactures have done their homework and practically any mounting setup you can imagine is available today. My PMGR adventures lately involve two diesel engines. One is a 6.0 v8 in an 04 SuperDuty F-350 and the other is a tiny two cylinder JohnDeere backhoe. Amazing results ! In the past it was wait for the glow-plugs then crank and crank untill the engines finally lit off. Now you can't get your fingers off the key fast enough as they fire up instantly from being spun so quickly. Best thing I ever did for those engines ! Not a cheap fix but worth every penny in my opinion.

19. handy_andy_cv64

With diesels, the requirement for older ones was the amperage for both lighting off the glow plugs and for spinning the engine fast enough for the air to heat fast enough to ignite. It's why some diesels had a control to open the cylinders to atmosphere, so that cranking would spin the rotating assembly fast, thereby allowing inertia to keep it spinning fast to engender that 'fast' compression. With what you just said, that now appears to be a thing of the past.

20. Hillbilly

Never was a fan of compression releases. Something else to mal-function. Both diesels fire off so fast now that the glow plugs are redundant. Thinking about switching the glow plug controlers so I can control when they are used. Right now they amount to two minutes of high amperage draw for no gain.