1978 Ford Ranchero radiator core support

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Curtis, Sep 18, 2022.

1. Curtis

Curtis In Second Gear

I havent been on in awhile and havent got to do much to my car either. But I have started working on it again. I got a hood, finally. I then started working on replacing hoses and plugs. Then I noticed something I hadnt in the past. My radiator core support is rusted in two beneath the radiator. Will a 77 or 79 fit in place of this one.?I have found a couple but they are from both of those years. I dont want to buy either of them if there is a chance they wont fit.

2. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

Yes, 77 through 79 will be a bolt-in "deal"

3. 1978GT

1978GT In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Be prepared for a bit of work to pull one intact and install in your ride. This photo will give you an idea of how much.

Radiator Support a.jpg

4. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Maximum Overdrive

The replacement part number for 72 to 79 is D7OZ 16138A . 76 and back to 72 will fit. You might have to drill a few holes but their replacement part is the 77-79 number. The 72-76 Montego , 77-79 Cougar, and 77-79 Thunderbird all use the same part so there should be some out there but due to age good ones are getting scarcer.

5. Curtis

Curtis In Second Gear

That one looks new. Is it a reproduction or just an old one in really good shape?

6. Curtis

Curtis In Second Gear

Okay thanks guys. I have one i am going to check on from a 77. Just didn't know if they bolted right up or not.

7. 1978GT

Neither. Photo from eBay in 2016 of NOS part listed.

8. RickMc

RickMc In Third Gear

Man, I would jump all over that if available now!

9. Curtis

Curtis In Second Gear

Still looking for a support. The ones i have found were either sold before i could get to them or were so rusted they were worse than mine. But I have seen a 74-76 T-bird support for sell. Would this one fit?

andrewok1 likes this.
  10. thebruins

thebruins In Third Gear

It has a different part number so I guess it would not be a direct fit.

11. 1978GT

Pulling and installing the support is a major job. Take your ride to a radiator shop and ask if they can weld in a patch piece.

12. Curtis

Curtis In Second Gear

I just pulled my radiator to get a better look at the damage . I also did it to get it repaired also. If I can find some metal about the right thickness I think I can do it. I do a little mig and stick welding myself.