Couple of questions...hopefully simple

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by DZG, Jul 17, 2023.

1. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

You are in luck. The rear main is changeable with the oil pan pulled. Fel-Pro makes a rubber two-piece seal kit that can be replaced without having to pull the crank down, which had to be done with the obsolete rope seals, along with special tools. The Fel-Pro doesn't need special tools. And, spend the extra cash for the 1-piece molded oil pan gasket. You will not be sorry.

And that molding, is your shipping high because the part is several feet long? I'm mad at the shipping companies, especially UPS, because UPS abandoned their 102" rule. Now, anything longer than 2 feet, regardless of any weight, takes a substantial hit on shipping.

2. DZG

DZG In Second Gear

Is this the rear main youre talking about?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-bs40042/make/ford

Says its for a 351/400...but i seen other (non felpros) that say theyll fit a 351W/C/M as well as a 400...so im guessing they all are the same?

and yes...im gonna get the 1 piece oil pan gasket. It just looked like a better product in general then the others i was seeing.

and yeah...the molding was 71 bucks to get trucked up here from texas because its so long. It came off a 78 cougar (2dr) but from pics ive seen they are the same.

Green had one too that was cheaper but unfourtantly it was for an 4door...i figured itd be to long.

At some point im pry gonna bite the bullet and take a drive to denton to CTC. I need bumpers, atleast 1 bumper shock, and a few other odds and ends. Id hate to see shipping for 2 of these massive bumpers.

3. handy_andy_cv64

Just outta curiosity, where are you located?

I just confirmed, the 40042 is the correct seal. Follow the directions carefully, because any damage will make it leak fast. Ask me how I know.

Anyway, there was one Cougar at Pick n Pull SA in S. San Antonio, they wanted $800 for the entire front clip, bumpers, wiring and all. If they hadn't pulled that figure out of their keister, and it had been around $500, I would've bought it for Babe, and she'd have a Cougar front clip, bumper and all. I think the last bumper I bought, for a '73 Chero, was $125 for another member on here, and $140 to ship it to Minnesota? Michigan? It was one of those "M" states.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2023
    DZG likes this.
  4. DZG

DZG In Second Gear

Im from michigan. Southern michigan...about 10 mi north of the ohio state line.

And thanks for confirming that seal. Ill get all that ordered here in the next few days.

My back bumper is toast. Not only does it look like crap but the actual metal part the chrome bolts to is rotted. The front bumper is for sure useable but id like to find atleast chrome for it (the backing on that one is solid).

I just figure with everything i wanna get shipping would be 500 bucks and the parts probably 500 bucks. Yes ill spend alot in gas going to get it myself but meh.

Plus...i like roadtrips lol

5. handy_andy_cv64

Jeez, for $500, I'll go fetch and deliver it! Or, at least find a halfway point!

DZG likes this.
  6. DZG

DZG In Second Gear

I had 1 quoted from Arizona it was 275 bucks.

For a 125 dollar bumper.

Heres a question though...

When i go to lift the motor to do the pan should i take the bolts totally out of the motor mounts? Or leave a few threads in? Im worried itll be hard to get lined back up with the tranny hooked to it...or am i worried to much?

7. handy_andy_cv64

You're worried too much. The engine and trans may move backward, but as long as the weight is off the mounts as you drop it back down, you can use a big prybar to move it forward enough, as well as sideways enough, for the holes to all realign. Those through bolts have to come all the way out.

DZG likes this.
  8. DZG

DZG In Second Gear

Man im gonna have to buy you a pizza.

Youve been alot of help

9. handy_andy_cv64

Actually, I need an HVAC control head, and I'll pay for it.

Since I'm attempting to lose weight, I need a pizza like I need a bolt through my ears. But, you are welcome; helping others is the reason I'm a forum member.

DZG likes this.
  10. DZG

DZG In Second Gear

What year is babe?

Theres a 77-79 HVAC head on ebay right now....its an AC one though...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1859334026...e:Ford&hash=item2b4a7e923a:g:3FkAAOSwDiBkglb2

If not check that www.car-part.com site....also CTC auto ranch where i got my rocker molding im sure would have one for it

11. handy_andy_cv64

Babe's my '79 GT. And yeah, I jumped on CTC's website, they have several intermediates to choose from. But they do not include a fixed pricing list, which I despise. Pick 'n' Pull SA does the same thing, and it seems like they just pull a price from their kazoos.

DZG likes this.
  12. DZG

DZG In Second Gear

Guess im used to it. Ive never been to a junkyard with fixed prices lol

That one on ebay looks decent,....i dont know what they go for.

There are zero of these cars in any of my local yards.