77 LTD II....what should i do?

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by DZG, Sep 14, 2023.

1. DZG

DZG In Second Gear

What do you mean re-prime?

I know you have to prime a new oil pump...but are you talking hooking a gauge to it while i prime the pump with a drill?

Sorry if that sounds stupid. Or do you mean test it once its running?

One other quick question...any idea how much weaker power wise this 85 motor is compared to my 77? Not that its a huge issue im just curious. I know the 77 was like 149hp and 291ftlbs....i cant see the 85 being much worse can it? I guess they went crazy on the smog after 77. Besides the feedback carb and associated distributor only thing i noticed different emission wise was A.I.R injection and an EGR.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2023
  2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

155 ponies, I can't remember the torque, but IIRC, it's almost 300.
    Yes, I am talking about getting oil back up into the engine, then testing what the cold pressure is. It'll also filter the remaining oil that was in the engine, kind of give a clean-up. And yes, I did mean testing it while priming it, but hey, testing it on a hot run will really let you know if there could be problems, or if you're golden.
    And as for the EGR and Thermactor, disconnect the vacuum to the EGR at the carb and cap it. The Thermactor tube on the back of the head can be removed, and the plugs used in the front holes in the heads can be installed to plug the exhaust. Of course, it's best to install them before putting the engine in. Anyway, it's what I did for Babe's engine, and it works beautifully. As for the EGR, the air/fuel mixture will be rich enough to keep the combustion temperature down, and prevent the exhaust valves from burning. Of course, if one or more have already started, there isn't much you can do unless you pull the heads.

DZG likes this.
  3. DZG

DZG In Second Gear

I already pulled the thermactor pipe and ordered plugs :)

Should those get loc tighted?

And yeah...thats a good idea about doing the prime test. I never heard or thought of that one.

As rich as the plugs looked when i pulled them i dont think i need to worry about burned valves. Unless someone pinged it to death out of time. But i guess we'll see. If thats the case i can slap my 77 heads on.

The EGR i was just gonna pull tottally, block off the manifold and cap what needs capped.

4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yes, red Loctite. And no, unless the base gaskets are leaking, just unplug the valve vacuum and cap it. But something just popped into my head, from none other than Hillbilly himself. Take the carb and spacer plate off, get some soft lead, make a plug, and gently tap it into the exhaust riser hole. Then you would only need a paper lower gasket and the formed paper upper gasket to put everything back together.

DZG likes this.