351M - Modified, Montreal, or Midland ???

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Felipe, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Felipe

Felipe In Third Gear

Over the weekend, I was an event called Truckfest in the San Francisco bay area. One of the vendors was Edelbrock. I was asking for a suggestion on a carburetor so the rep asked me what type of engine I was running. I told him it was a 351M. He said, 'oh, a Midland.' I always thought the M stood for "Modified". (In the past someone told me the M stood for Montreal.) The rep said that the C stood for the US plant in Cleveland, M stood for the plant in Midland, Texas, and the W stood for the Windsor plant in Canada. The rep was a retired engineer who used to do consulting work for Edelbrock and now works for them part-time for fun. He seemed very knowledgeable. What's everyone's understanding of what the M means?

2. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

M is Modified always has been Its a modified Clevland block

3. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Yup, what 5.0 Wrote...

... if you trust Ford, Chiltons, Motors, Haynes a 351M is a 351 Modified Cleveland.

4. CJ Guy

CJ Guy In Maximum Overdrive

Run away fast from that one, obviously a chebie guy.
    351"M" is and stands for a Modified 400 period, different crank is all, destroked 400.
    You have the DIF (
    Dearborn Iron Foundry) and the CF (Cleveland Foundry) and the MCC ( Michigan Casting Center) as identifier's on the blocks. 71-72 were cast at the DIF or CF and after 72 either at CF or MCC . Windsor, Canada does not play a role with the 335 series engines.

Where do they find these "experts"...:D

5. 75 Squire

75 Squire In Maximum Overdrive

In so far as I have head the "M" doesnt stand for anything. They just use it to differenciate it from the 351W that was still in production and the 351C that it replaced. The most common and accepted interpriation is 'Modified' as its a modified 400. Oh and there is no such thing as a 400M, there was only the 400.

6. BlueOvals

BlueOvals In Maximum Overdrive

Sooo, the vin of my 70 Mustang is "M" in the engine part (total is: 0R01M139169), and M equals:
    351 V-8 290 hp (1969-70) likely this one
    351 V-8 285 hp (1971-74)
    Right guys?

7. Horsebackbob

Horsebackbob In Second Gear

I live in midland Texas, and I can say with confidence that there has never been anything as cool as an engine factory around here. We do have tumbleweeds though. There are more than a few midlands to choose from in this country though.

8. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

M = Montreal. As in Montreal Seasoning for Steaks. Mmmm, think I'll fire up the BBQ this afternoon.

9. Smile_n_jax

Smile_n_jax In Fourth Gear

My '70 GT is also an "M" code which translates to a 351C 4V 290HP. That means it is definitely not a 351M.

And Sean, I will also be on the BBQ this evening. Marinated London Broil. Steaks anyone? :D

10. Lovinmy74

Lovinmy74 In Maximum Overdrive

I'll have to look it up but I read somewhere that "M" stood for "Maybe they will think it's a cleveland". But I don't know if thats true cause I have a different book that states the "M" stood for "Man I hate Ralph Nader"

11. DonC

DonC In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yall are educating this ole chevy guy all of the time. Chevy's are so easy, these Fords take some work to keep track of what can be done to the different engine families and cars and so on and on and on.

12. Lovinmy74

Yup, We confuse the chevy fellas all the time. It's really not that complicated though, it's just that we have a really good selection of motors to choose from, We think thats a good thing. All chevy guys will tell you that they can interchange all thier parts, Doesn't that make kinda make it one engine that you can put different parts in? We can put different parts in all of our engines. Anyway, I glad you crossed back over from the dark side. :D

13. pdw72

pdw72 In Maximum Overdrive

I think Ford did it to keep the simple minded away, just my opinion:D

14. Lovinmy74

Thats right, If you cant figure out what parts fit, you shouldn't be designing your own engines.

15. rancheronut

rancheronut In Fourth Gear

or some body at ford has bad taste in humor!:rolleyes: