1957 E code Ranchero

Discussion in 'Ranchero Vin Decoder/Production Numbers' started by Dvicarsjr, May 10, 2014.

1. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

My Mom talks about her 57 Chevy in the same unflattering terms. Nope, she doesn't have it anymore. She's an old bird and that was actually a high school car she drove. That's the only thing she remembers about it. She also remembers wrecking her friend's mom's 50's-something T-bird too.

2. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

No, nobody want's to get caught in crap weather, that's for sure. But if he Lives in TN. he has good odds of that happening to him. Plenty times not a drop of rain at various shows here but between the house and the show a frog strangler pops up and doesn't even appear on the radar. You get that with all these hills and valleys. All your detail work shot. While it's a work in progress those electric wipers are real nice, eventually though you reach the point of enclosed trailer or I ain't going.

3. ForistellFord

So did pretty much all cars back then have vacuum wipers like that? BTW I think 'frog strangler' was Sean's high school nickname.

TestDummy likes this.
  4. Hillbilly

Yeah John, up till the early 60's. Electrics were optional on most though. Set up right they are like infinately variable speed wipers. Ol' 58 Lincoln has a huge vacume reservoir along with a vacume pump in the block driven by the crankshaft. It's the only vacume wiper setup that I have seen that hills don't bother. Still prefer electric because they're so consistent in operation.
    You want a plumber's nightmare, try on the hydraulic wipers driven off the steering pump in late 60's MK Lincolns and T-Birds. Hummm ? What's that red fluid on my new tennis shoes ?

Last edited: May 12, 2014
    ForistellFord likes this.
  5. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

I had a few Buicks in the '57 era that had an added section on the bottom of the oil pump that made vacuum for the wipers. They were kinda fragile, and of course you had to pull the pan to fix it.

6. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

My 58 triumph TR3 had electric wipers, and disk brakes.

7. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

I recall a '54, a '56 and a '50 Ford that each had the vacuum wipers - found the rate change between accelerating and decelerating annoying, but at least they kept you awake...

8. Hillbilly

Really annoying when you hit an unfamiliar curve on a hill and they just stopped. I hated having to dance on the gas feed to see in the rain. Thanks for the info on the Buicks BB. That was in the "NailHead" engines, right ?

9. ForistellFord

Man, y'all a bunch of old codgers.

Hillbilly likes this.
  10. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Some of us even remember when nobody had a cell phone.

11. Lincolnut

Lincolnut In Third Gear

FF we not old codgers, just experienced older fellows........................LOL.....I still have a pickup with vacuum wipers..........1956 F 100...

Mike

12. ForistellFord

I'm that old. I was in high school when pagers first appeared. Only the drug dealers had them. Seemed space age at the time. And we didn't have a microwave growing up, and didn't have a color TV until I was a teenager.

13. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Yup, Nailheads. Short stroke, high revs, plenty of stock hp. Those were my favorite swap motors back in the day. Cheap at the junkyard, I suppose due to lack of demand. But, easy to find adapter bellhousings at the local Vic Hubbards. One of my all-time favorite cars was a '62 Electra 225. I've owned more Buicks than any other brand, but the later motors didn't impress me like the nailheads.

14. Hillbilly

Got's to remember John, much slower rust rate here. We picked up cars for literally nothing and drove the snot outta' them. A $100 car back then equals what would cost ya $5,000 today. There won't be 20, 30, 40 year old solid driver cars come out of today's offerings because of degraded plastics and electronics. I arbitrairily put my cutoff date on cars at 1997, anything newer has too much plastic and aren't supported well in replacment parts.
    Not into tiny tuner cars so I'm out of luck on anything but new trucks. I doubt I'm alone, look at the interest in old iron like Cutlasses, Chevelles, Mustangs, anything with a growling V8. If ya grew up with those cars it's like having a perk at work. I kept a new Lincoln during those years, but drove nearly everything out there as a daily driver. Life was more fun in the beaters, still is. Only difference is now I take better care of the old cars. Being old do have some advantages, you'll see it yourself quick enough.

15. ForistellFord

Hey, I'm not nearly as advanced as you guys but I do remember life with old iron. I drove, among other things, a couple 68 Cutlasses, 74 Torino, 74 Ranchero, 73 Ranchero, 79 E150, 74 Elite, sheesh, too many others to remember.

16. Hillbilly

And there you have your own answer John. Every one of us is nutso about old iron or we wouldn't be on this forum. Some focus on one brand or year beast but this Ranchero group encompasses dang near any older ride in their past lives. Maybe not many wood spoke rims but close to that era in our group. Love em' all !

ForistellFord likes this.
  17. Hillbilly

BB, the NailHeads were flogged to death around here on dragstrips and dirt tracks. Made finding a nice one practically impossible for me. Then I discovered the thin block mid sixties 340's and 455's. Didn't seem to rev very high but had torque out the wazoo. Being nuts made it easy to conjure up a 57 four door Chevy six cylinder car then drop in first the 340 then a 455 after finding out about how much torque I was missing out on. Ran a 400 Turbo trans behind both with a 4.11 posi. rear. The 455 came from a GSX Stage ? I don't remember which version it was but the donor car was a tough local street racer. Went further off the deep end and took a hole saw to the Chevy in places you couldn't see and got the weight down to 50lbs. less than a 69 RallySport Camaro. Had a lot of fun with that Grandpa car. Big Buick and Oldsmobile engines were so underated.

18. rlcpartman

rlcpartman In First Gear

19. rlcpartman

rlcpartman In First Gear

20. rlcpartman

rlcpartman In First Gear