1969, 302: coil voltage 12V; intake manifold leak; emission control

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Logiko, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Logiko

Logiko In Second Gear

Hi guys.

the weather is fine, which is good. The damn corona calms down the usual life. :-(
    So I poke around the car and spot things I do not understand but you for sure do.

1. I measured the voltage in front of the coil. It was about 12V. So I need a resistor, right? That is even written on the coil. I have no Petronix or something like that. Would you recommend Pertronix? Do I need a resitor anyway?

2. See the picture of my manifold. There is a liquid under the coil. It looks like oil but I would say it is dirty water. Like a light, liquid tar. Can a manifold be broken this way? That some water comes out there,? Should I worry and do something about it asap?
    (Image 0. Unfortunately you can't see it well. The dark spot under the coil.)

3. Do I need all the vacuum-hose staff as seen on the pictures? I searched for this and it seems to be some emission control thing. I am afraid that all this vacuum-hoses could cause troubles. What do you recommend? Is it usefull? Or shoudl I go back to "standard"? And there is a part on the carb that has no connection to nothing. I suppose that is part of the emission control, but not working. Or has it some other function?
    (Vacuum hoses: mage 4. Strange aprt: image 3 and the blurred part in front of image 2.)

So, thanks for answers in advance, have a nice day or night and stay healthy.
    :)

Petr

Attached Files:

2. tony o

tony o In Third Gear

In your picture of the sticker on the coil, is the word internal before the word resister? If so it is an internal resister coil with the resister built into it. no external resister is required and 12v at the coil would be correct.

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

As for the vacuum lines, the ones you show for the vacuum advance on the distributor are necessary, but not necessarily for better emissions, just better engine operation. The device screwed into the thermostat housing switches advance vacuum between manifold and venturi vacuum, so that the engine operates better between cold and hot operation.

4. Logiko

Logiko In Second Gear

Hi Tony. The word is "external". To use with external resistor.

OK. Was just wondering. :) When I looked for informations about this, I often found pictures of less complex versions.

Andrew, btw, I will get some support regarding my the ignition-setting and carb adjusting. I have to be patient as we can't meet right now.

5. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Is the 12 volts at the coil with? the engine running, or just key on, engine off? If key on, engine off, and the points are open, it will show battery voltage with or without a resistor.

6. thebruins

thebruins In Third Gear

I think the port on the carb in the second picture is generally used to circulate air through the choke system so it can decide whether to open or close depending on the temperature of the air. Not sure how your choke system is set up as in that same picture the hose on the choke is going somewhere we cannot see.

7. handy_andy_cv64

His carb's the same as mine, it's the air supply to the choke stove, where the carb pulls metered filtered air through the stove to heat up, and pass that heat to the choke thermostat's bi-metallic spring.

Logiko likes this.
  8. Logiko

Logiko In Second Gear

you are right. I found this explanation that helps me to understand.
    https://www.carburetor-parts.com/2100-Choke-Pull-Down-Operation_ep_772.html

the hose on the choke is going directly to the thermostat housing. To the connection/port in the middle.

9. Logiko

Logiko In Second Gear

just key on. I just measured the wire to the coil. My idea was: if there is a resistor somewhere, the wire would have less then 12v.

10. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

I can answer part of your questions -- on a '69 system there is an internal resistor; it is part of the underdash wiring harness. You don't need an external resistor with a stock coil. This is switched around by the starter circuit, when the key is in 'start' position a local wire bypasses the internal resistor. The resistor is several feet of wire that is folded up under the tape-cover, wire might be made of aluminum.

To the best of my knowledge, a Pertronics unit will fit with no change using stock wiring. No resistor is necessary.

I don't recognize your carburetor? I expected a Ford 2-bbl carb, model 2100.

11. handy_andy_cv64

It's an early 2150. It's set up exactly like my 2150 I got from Andrew down in FL.

12. Logiko

Logiko In Second Gear

thanks for the info.

and I expected that I have the model 2100, too.
    Andrew knows my car better then me
    :D

Attached Files:

13. handy_andy_cv64

That is a tag for a 2100, but the design of the body is more like a 2150. PSX_20200418_122932.jpg

So, it's 'D1ZF-AA,' the 'D' in 'ADA' means it has a later change in the design.

14. handy_andy_cv64

Here's the differences...which means I have a 2100 also.

PSX_20200418_123333.jpg

15. Logiko

Logiko In Second Gear

So, we do not have the original carb from 1969? Or is it just me? ;-)
    I suppose there are almost no matching carbs after 50 years. I would even expect more "zombies".
    You know, when you start to repair and build one out of three.

I probably am missing the Anti-Stall Daspot I see in your picture.
    Do you habe a picture of the stock/original desing of the accelerator linkage?
    Thanks

16. thebruins

thebruins In Third Gear

Well, maybe technically it's not from 1969 but I doubt the 1971 version is much different. A lot of the letters that come after the first 4 characters indicate different (emission) calibrations so unless you still have the sticker from 1969 somewhere on your engine it's pretty hard or perhaps impossible to get the exact same carb that was on the car when it rolled out of the factory.

17. handy_andy_cv64

And also, it's possible your carb was used to replace the original, for whatever reason. But, for sure, the tag does denote a 1971 carb.