1971 Drip Rail Removal - How To?

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by bscottie, Jun 21, 2015.

1. bscottie

bscottie In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

the drip rail is the one piece of trim I haven't taken off, any tips or how to's on removing it on a 71 without destroying it, mines in good shape and I don't want to try and find replacements by tearing it up

2. Billy Zoom

Billy Zoom In Fourth Gear

Are you talking about the drip rail over the door, or the stainless trim that snaps over it?

3. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

To remove the drip rail first remove the seal on the body that the window closes to, then remove the screws that hold the weatherstrip retainer, then remove the retainer molding.
    The front drip rail trim will come off with the painted section on the front A Pillar, you will see the screw that hold it on once you remove the retainer.
    Slide the drip rail and painted trim piece down a little, it will come off as one piece.
    Then from the inside of the truck, take a piece of wood about 8" long and gently tap the lower side of the remaining drip rail and it will start to unclip from the body, go easy, don't kink it.
    [​IMG]

andrewok1 likes this.
  4. Huevos

Heres a vid that show how to, ...

pmrphil and andrewok1 like this.
  5. bscottie

all trim is removed, will give the lite tap with the apint stick

Thanks for the tips

6. Billy Zoom

Billy Zoom In Fourth Gear

Getting it back on is the tricky part. I never ran into trouble taking it off with a bottle opener.

7. Huevos

I have seen a lot of people kink the molding using the beer opener, not the right tool.
    If you mark the molding to start the installation it should go back on without any problem, use a little vaseline on the underside of the body lip to help it clip on.
    Don't use a plastic hammer to pound it on, use a small rubber mallet and be careful not to dent the sides in...

8. bscottie

I will know Saturday or Sunday, will post an update, hopefully my patience will help me prevail