1978 Mad Max build: Beast of Burden

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by paul289, Jun 28, 2016.

1. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I would go with a replacement tank
    less chance of leak after cleaning

2. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Jeez, that looks like the La Brea tar pits in there!

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I was lucky; even with how long Babe sat, the tank is very nice inside. $170 is a very good price for a tank; have you found a sump/sender yet?

4. paul289

paul289 In Fourth Gear

The sump and sender still works, so I think I'll just soak that in acetone or something and get the crusties off of it. Then put a new filter sock on the sump. Also need a new filler neck seal. Wish I had the money to get all new stuff, but just the tank and that grommet should be fine.

Also, my boss said he has some Hedman headers from one of his first gen Mustang sitting around. Anyone know if they'd fit my Ranchero? I'm guessing they would, being that they're for a small block, but the FMX could throw a wrench in the works.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  5. handy_andy_cv64

The FMX is pretty close to the C4 in dimensions, but of course, your mileage may vary. I think your possible sticking point will be the steering gearbox; when I originally set to drop in Babe's replacement engine, the Panther driver's exhaust manifold wouldn't clear the gearbox, so I found a '78 T-bird with a 351W in the junkyard, snagged both manifolds, and that allowed the Y-pipe to bolt right up. Anyway, if they do fit, you might want to heat tape wrap the headers, and that, along with a P/S fluid cooler, will protect the power steering.

paul289 likes this.
  6. paul289

paul289 In Fourth Gear

Dang, been a while! So I ended up getting the tank mostly cleaned out and drove it around a bit, but the distributor gave up the ghost. The teeth stripped out on it, the pickup died, and the bearing has a dead spot in it. So, I've bought a Proform HEI dizzy. Hope it's decent, and it should let me ditch the MSD box and a good portion of the factory wiring, but I'll keep that all in place should I need to go back to that system.

Recently got married too, so that's keeping me from doing a whole lot on the Beast, and I picked up a 1976 F250, but thankfully, that doesn't need much work at all.

7. handy_andy_cv64

Well, guess what, man, I'm on vacay up here in Everett! PM me your number, and let's see if we can make a mini-M&G before I leave out on the 19th!