292 Y block in a 60 Falcon Ranchero???

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by 60Chero, Mar 28, 2020.

1. 60Chero

60Chero In First Gear

I have a 60 Ranchero with the small stock inline. Going to look at a 292 Y block tomorrow. Has anybody ever put a 292 Y in an early 60s Falcon Ranchero?

2. Russ

Russ In First Gear

No, but interesting idea. I've seen many SBFs in 60-62 Falcons, of course, but never a Y-block. Following.

3. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Maximum Overdrive

Why, oh why a Y??? o_O

4. Russ

Russ In First Gear

Don't want to speak for 60Chero, but one reason that occurs to me is that Ford was still using 292's in 1960 production cars. Plus, I just happen to like Y-blocks.

5. Dyno

Dyno In Overdrive

I'd measure between shock towers and width of engine before attempting. The early cars were real narrow in the engine bay. Though if you need a reason to put mustangII suspension on then no worries.

6. 60Chero

60Chero In First Gear

The width was the only problem I saw, but i think it would fit with custom headers, and possibly modifying the spring pockets. But the only reason I was trying to put a y block in there because I found a good deal on one, but somebody else bought it. I ended up getting a 200 inline 6 from a 66 Stang instead to replace my factory 144 6. I bought a c4 auto trans but trying to find what parts I will need to mate the c4 to the 200. Any help on that?

7. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Posted in your other thread. To add, you'll need the engine mounts, of course, and before the install, you should look at performance parts for that inline. Cam, rocker arms (which are adjustable), 2-piece header, larger CFM carb, etc.

60Chero likes this.
  8. 60Chero

60Chero In First Gear

So the trans I got turns out to be a 69 Ford Fmx trans. Can that be mated to the 200 or do I need another trans?

9. handy_andy_cv64

You need a C4. AFAIK, even though the FMX has a bolted bellhousing, I do not recall seeing any '60s Ford/Mercury with any inline engine and FMX. Or, you could get a 250 CID inline, use a C4 or even an AOD, as the 250s have the Windsor bellhousing.

60Chero likes this.
  10. 60Chero

60Chero In First Gear

I found a c4 that came out of a inline 6 stang. He took it out to put it back to manual shift. So it's ready to go with the proper bell housing and everything.

11. handy_andy_cv64

Nice score. There you go! Now all you need is a Mustang "Cruise-o-Matic" floor shifter and cable.

12. ron schlorff

ron schlorff In Second Gear

My first car was a 55 Ford Ranch wagon, family hand me down, in 60's. Bullet proof Y block engine, 272 or 292. No matter what I did to it, it simply would not die, but Fordomatic transmissions were another story!! LOL. My 64 Chero has a newly re-built 200 six, also bullet proof, with an early 2000's Tremec 5 speed behind it. A nice driver, once I get the front end, and bakes (disc conversion) rebuilt!!

13. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

The Y block would probably weigh more than a SBF too.

14. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Maximum Overdrive

I have a spare 312 for my 57 and a Mustang 289 on roller carts in the garage and when they gotta get moved you definitely know which one is which without pulling the covers off.