302 Edelbrock 1406 Tuning

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by NHERIC, Jul 16, 2021.

1. NHERIC

NHERIC In First Gear

I would appreciate your input....
    Main jets, secondary jets, springs and rods.....300HP SL to 2000

2. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I replaced the rods in mine with ones that were one step richer on the low speed step, much improved normal drivability, peppier off-idle and around town. Found the high speed, power step to be acceptable.

3. NHERIC

NHERIC In First Gear

Come on Team Ranchero...there has to be a ton of 1970 to 79 302 mods running Edelbrock 600 4s and I'm flying by the seat of my pants.
    My change from 98 mains to 101 with the same 7037 and stiffest silver springs....vacuum is 22"HG...is in the right direction.
    There have to be 25 someones that have experimented and found the golden ticket??????
    Thanks....

4. 6delta

6delta In Fourth Gear

I pretty much ran the 1406 on my 302 just as it came out of the box. Of course I am at about 50 - 100 feet above sea level with around 40 - 50 % humidity. Other than that I don't think anything I have would really translate to your situation. I have the Edelbrock RPM Performer intake with a mild cam, long tube headers with a full 2 inch exhaust and Pertronix ignition. I actually finally switched to the 1801 AVS for a little better response with the way my C4 is and depending on what size tires I put in the back. I do not really recall how it is currently set up. If you are able to get 22" of vacuum at idle you may be getting in the ball park for a clean, lean idle. Depending on what kind of cam you have and what your idle speed is. I cannot ever get close to that much vacuum. What is your timing at and what type of distributor are you using? You may be at the point to where you just start checking your spark plugs, adjusting your timing and seeing how it runs. Are you trying to get better performance from a start off the line or when it drops down into passing at 60? The jets and needles really need to be set for more how you drive than anything else.

5. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I did the basic idle mixture setting and it's responsive and hauls ass.