351W Nightmare! Help Please!?

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by El Ranchero, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I love a happy ending. Losing the points is a good idea. Go with a Duraspark or a Pertronix drop in.

TestDummy likes this.
  2. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

I like both the Duraspark and Pertronic setups. You still have to watch for wear in the distributor shaft bushings. Unless you know your distributor is nice and tight, a rebuilt unit is a better starting point.

TestDummy likes this.
  3. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Can't disagree with your main point there, starting with new-ish parts, always a good idea; setting to stock might have worked in the thread author's car. However, compared to a points distributor, where the point's open-close cycle whacks the distributor bushings 8x every revolution -- that's where I'd expect to find wear. Nothing similar happens to a Duraspark.

I did have a Duraspark seize in my '77 f250, enough to break the gear pin. It happened just aroung the corner from a O'Reilly (or whatever that store was called in the late eighties, maybe Grand Auto) -- and they had a distributor that would fit it. There's the joy of using stock Ford parts.

4. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Did you have to adjust the timing on your first car, the Model T?

5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I had a pin shear on my '89 Bronco, and I'm reasonably sure it happened because the shaft was worn. So I replaced the body and shaft from parts I had, and I was good to go. It was fun when the engine would die, then cranking it would get the gear rotated 360* and then engine would fire off again. Did I say fun? I mean, it was screwed.

6. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Yes but it is known as "SPARK" and it's the lever on the left side of the column
    the lever on the right is the throttle
    the pedal on the right is the brake pedal
    the center pedal is reverse
    the left pedal is neutral and low gear
    the e brake lever on the left is also neutral high gear when you throw it forward
    :D

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  7. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Those things practically drove themselves. No need to hold you foot in a particular position to maintain speed, it had cruise control. You could climb back and get something out of the boot (a six pack) and climb back into the drivers seat without the car missing a beat.
    Not only that, but you were allowed to sit upright in a comfortable position rather than laid back with your neck bent forward at an unnatural angle.
    Cars have gone a long way downhill since the model T.

8. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yeah, but Grandpa Len told me the danger of forgetting to put the timing in full retard before manually cranking the engine over...do it wrong and it'll break your arm as it swings back around.

9. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive