351w Timing Cover Gasket Install

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Vasili Brown, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Vasili Brown

Vasili Brown In Third Gear

I am hopefully going to be working on my ranchero this weekend. The motor is a 1973 351w. I tried putting the new gasket for the timing cover on and it leaked antifreeze pretty bad. Any pointers or a walk-through would be great. What kind of silicone to use, how to install that rubber part on the bottom, etc. I really don't want to take the front end apart again haha. Also I am having trouble locating bolt kits for the timing cover and water pump, I'm almost sure that I am missing a bolt or two.

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

First examine the gasket face of the cover. Pitting is common and should be addressed.
    What I do if the pitting is minor is to paint the gasket mating area with self etching epoxy primer then glue 2 sheets of 220 sandpaper to plywood, lay it down flat on the sandpaper, and with even pressure over the whole unit cut the paint until it is just in the low spots.
    A thin RTV bead around the water holes is recommended.
    The rubber part on the bottom should be glued to the bottom of the cover and the glue thoroughly cured before installation. Goop the bottom of the engine area and front of the pan with RTV. Clean with alcohol first so the RTV sticks.
    Also, do yourself a favor. Put the bolts in loose, then install the harmonic balancer (don't forget to grease the gasket) before tightening any of them. After several of the outside ones are tight you can take the balancer off again. That will prevent a misalignment that will cause front seal failure.
    Hope this helps.

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I had run into the front crank seal misaligning on installation, even though I had the cover alignment pegs and a Speedi-Sleeve on the damper. Had to do it twice after the initial install. They just do not like slapping it together.

4. ribald1

Especially with the pan on as the pan puts upward pressure on it. If not exactly centered the seal tears and leaks.

5. Vasili Brown

Do you think it would be worth taking the oil pan off? I have to drain the oil anyway because some water leaked into it

6. Vasili Brown

7. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

8. Vasili Brown

I'd rather get equipment made for it if I can.

9. handy_andy_cv64

Actually, one thing came to mind: is the front crank seal installed from outside or inside the cover? If it's from inside, you do not want it. Tear the seal installing the damper and the cover has to come off again.

10. handy_andy_cv64

Believe it or not, this was put on when the engine was on the stand, before installing the oil pan. And yes, the pan makes things harder, but not so hard that two small c-clamps couldn't cure. I did that on my '89 Bronco 5.8L, and they worked perfectly.

11. ribald1

I measured the lengths of the ones on my 5.0 and 460 then bought stainless steel socket head bolts to replace them.
    Being round makes install easier and the stainless doesn't rust out like the steel ones do.

12. Steve 74gtQ

Steve 74gtQ In Overdrive

I have found the best sealer for water/antifreeze on gaskets and hoses is thin coat of chassis grease. Use it just like silicone. Your hoses will come off easier the gaskets peel off. I little cleaner on a rag and surface is repreped. Don't use on areas where oil is flowing oil will dissolve the grease. And then will seep oil. Been doing it for 30 years no problems at all.

13. Vasili Brown

Thank you for all of the information. Hopefully this will be my last time messing with the timing cover. I'll be taking the oil pan off since it will make it easier

14. Vasili Brown

Install went great with no leaks, Thank You for the help!

15. handy_andy_cv64

Alright! Happy motoring!