63 Ranchero new to me as of yesterday

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by 63build66, Nov 21, 2020.

1. 63build66

63build66 In Second Gear

Thank you for the add to the forum. First Ford restoration. Needs lots of input, advice, guidance and maybe even some hand holding . I still need to figure out this forum and where to post certain things. My first dilemma is that I have Parkinson’s disease so this is also my physical therapy. With that said and out of the way I need advice on how to get the 3 on the tree swapped out to an automatic as it is a physical necessity for me. Will a c4 tranny bolt up to my I6 without any major modifications! This car runs and drives, but definitely needs some cosmetic love.
    I have finished a Jeep and also in the process of a 73 VW Ghia. The Jeep is mine and turned out fantastic for such a limited budget. The Ghia is going to be amazing and it is my cousin’s car.
    I have always wanted a 63 Ranchero and have so many ideas.

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Okay, first, yes, if you find a C4 with the proper bellhousing and torque converter. Fortunately, the bellhousing is bolted on, and can be swapped if you have to find one that fits. As far as the shifter, you need a column and the hardware between the shifter and transmission. Just make sure you get all the fasteners with the hardware. Nothing more irritating than fishing for nuts and bolts that fit.

3. 63build66

63build66 In Second Gear

Thank you very much for a speedy reply! What type of column do I need? One from another 60s model Ranchero? Also I would like to put the shifter on the floor. Is that possible with the c4 on a 63? Please excuse my ignorance... just getting to know and research this car.

4. handy_andy_cv64

Check my response to your other thread about the swap I just posted.

63build66 likes this.
  5. 63build66

63build66 In Second Gear

I’m working with a guy online right now on a c4 out of a 66 Ford asking $400 for it, but it hasn’t been in a vehicle for 10 years. Not sure it’s worth that.

6. handy_andy_cv64

If it's fresh out, and low miles, it'd be a good deal. But unless it was properly stored those ten years, it's gonna need to be gone through.

7. 63build66

63build66 In Second Gear

Ya, I offered him 100 bucks and told him the same thing. He responded back with 300 and I said I won’t go over 100. He hasn’t replied.

8. handy_andy_cv64

Yeah, because, not only you don't know how good or bad it is, there's also the shipping charge, and you don't want to throw good money after bad.

63build66 likes this.
  9. airford1

airford1 In Maximum Overdrive

[​IMG] Still have this one and it's TooCool. Looks the same as when this picture was taken. I did this on from a real rust bucket. Rest mod as they say. Any question , I'll be glad to help[​IMG]

10. Saff54

Saff54 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Welcome,this is a great forum,good luck with your build