64-5 Paint breaks on the doors

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Bryan59EC, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Bryan59EC

Bryan59EC In Overdrive

Getting my doors ready to repaint the interior portions back to original.

Some time back in the 80s, my uncle had the car repainted inside and out and changed the interior color.

I'm kind of looking for where the factory masked for the color change from the interior color to the exterior color. Pretty sure that the folks that repainted this long ago did not follow the same lines.

I know that around the window frame, it is broken in the corner and covered by the weatherstrip
    But where it comes down into the door I really cannot find where the original mask was.
    Also----around the bottom of the door.

I can see evidence that it was also painted an interior color----but can't find where it breaks.

2. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Usually the shell is painted the same color as the car around the jambs etc, and removable items (like dashes in come cases) are painted before installation.
    Generally there is no masking between the interior and the exterior on a factory paint job.

3. Bryan59EC

Bryan59EC In Overdrive

Inside window frames and upper and lower panels are painted interior color.
    And ALL interior colors from 60 on up should be a different sheen or finish (federal thing)
    I think by the time 69 rolled around --- not so big an issue----door panel went from top to bottom (sometime in that era)
    so the interior colors did not really need to go onto the door.

But yes---the original interior color is visible on the door -- some of the masking lines are as well---just not the ones I want to see.
    I have a door from an earlier car, but the doors are a bit different and may have differences in where they were masked
    in the areas I am concerned about

4. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Maximum Overdrive

The masking line would be similar to the Mustangs then. For the inner doors it would be from the weatherstrip in, the tape line covered where the weatherstrip is glued on.

5. Rodbender

Rodbender In Second Gear

This is spot on.