65 Windshield removal???

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Bryan59EC, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Bryan59EC

Bryan59EC In Overdrive

Anybody have some step by step instructions on removing the
    windshield from my Ranchero??

Apparently, I have to remove the upper corner trim pieces, and possibly the side
    moldings as well before attempting to remove this thing.

I do not wish to damage any of the trim pieces in this process and want to do it right the first time.

Glass has to come out to paint the interior metal----get reinstalled
    and will come out later next year when I get around to painting the rest of the car. (I have a sound reason for doing this).

2. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Do you have the proper tools for removing the moldings?
    If not, call a glass shop, otherwise you will ruin your moldings.
    If you are replacing the windshield, call a glass shop, they will remove it and Re-install it when you get your paintwork done.
    Get an Online quote from Safelite or a local glass shop.

3. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2013
  4. Bryan59EC

Bryan59EC In Overdrive

I have tools for trim removal.

Trouble is----there are a couple of pieces that need to be removed before the glass comes out and I am not sure how they are attached.

Some say there is a screw retaining the piece from the inside----some say it just pops off.

The upper and lower trim is removed with the glass and rubber and the trim is installed into the rubber before the glass is installed into the car.

Just want to make sure I understand the removing of the side and upper corners.

5. DonC

DonC In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Don't recall if 65 is the same but on 60-63 I know the moulding is in the rubber seal and easiest to remove by cutting the seal out from the inside and then removing the moulding after the seal and glass have been removed. No reusing the seal though with that method even though it's the easiest.

6. sponder

sponder In First Gear

Don is correct, cut it out with box blade then remove trim. The trim will have to be installed in the new gasket then put on the windshield for final installation. Also i learned the hardway the rear window is roped in from the outside. Not sure if this is correct for 65 but it is for a 62.