'66 Leaf Springs

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by JonVeeDub, Aug 7, 2018.

1. JonVeeDub

JonVeeDub In Second Gear

I'm still trying to learn what is compatible with what, I went back 12 pages looking for the answer so I apologize if it's been asked and answered but.... will 66 Falcon/Mustang/ Fairlane leaf springs be a direct replacement of the Ranchero? I don't know why it's such a PITA to find parts for this thing.

Thanks

Jon

2. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

I had sac spring re-arch the springs on my victoria years ago.Was cheap-ish,and sat pretty for many years.May be worth a call.Search for fairlane wagon
    as well. http://sacspring.com/

JonVeeDub likes this.
  3. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

Maybe this will help

Attached Files:

JonVeeDub likes this.
  4. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

JonVeeDub likes this.
  5. JonVeeDub

JonVeeDub In Second Gear

Thanks guys for all the responses. Is there a compatible "platform" that you guys use to find parts for that aren't Ranchero specific? Say, an oil pan for a Galaxy for instance? Like I mentioned, still trying to find what works with what. Thanks guys

6. RANCHEROROB

RANCHEROROB In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Hollander Interchange # 242

66-71 Falcon, Fairlane, Torino, Montego Station Wagon or Ranchero ONLY

JonVeeDub likes this.
  7. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

on the right side of the eye chart are the Ford part numbers. Should allow you to cross reference with any parts supplier.

I purposely put the eye chart in PDF format so that it could be blown up to make it more useful! and less of an eyechart.

Almost any Ford platform with the same wheel base, will most likely work.

My rebuild used parts that cross referenced with Mustang, Cougar, Comet, Fairlane, Torino, along with others...
    I know NPD parts numbers are identical to the Ford Part number. For Example: Ford Part number C5OZ 5560-z (66 Leaf Assembly, 390), NPD part number is 5560-z

cbolt and JonVeeDub like this.
  8. El Ranchero

El Ranchero In First Gear

image.jpeg Just now going through hell rebuilding the rear suspension. Here's a pretty good data base for replacement springs that's easier for me to read.
    http://www.truckcomponentsonline.com/FORDMERCURYLINCOLN_c_579.html
    You can see quick what is interchangeable and what is interchangeable-ish.

I found the rear leaves were so rotted from being encased in the thick rubber insulators that the local spring shop told me they were junk and I needed to rebuild all new springs for the princely sum of $700.00. They wanted $1,200.00 to do the whole enchilada, R and R and build the new springs.

Here's my question if anyone cares to weigh in on this: since the original insulator pads helped hold in water and rotted everything to pieces, why can't I ditch the insulators entirely and bolt the axle perches and shock plate clamped directly onto the spring stack like they do on Mustangs and a lot of other cars from the factory? Why use pads at all?

9. El Ranchero

El Ranchero In First Gear

Here's a link that puts things clear although it's too late for you probably. I have a helluva time reading the OEM parts books. And, yes, it is a major PITA finding parts for my '71. My '71 El Camino was no problem whatsoever, but this "El Ranchero" is Hell Ranchero finding parts. Would you happen to have any insigts into whether or not one can ditch the insulator pads altogether and bolt the shock plate to the axle U-bolts directly clamping the leaf assembly metal to metal?
    http://www.truckcomponentsonline.com/FORDMERCURYLINCOLN_c_579.html

10. JonVeeDub

JonVeeDub In Second Gear

Thanks for the link I have not been able to get around to the leaf springs yet. I got called out for some wild fires and then I have focused on pulling / dissembling the motor. I have also been trying to get the front suspension done before my other car (74 Duster) gets out of paint. Thanks again