67 radiator set up

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Saff54, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Saff54

Saff54 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

So,still working on getting my engine rebuilt or getting a true 390,while the motor is out,been cleaning up the engine compartment,noticed the existing radiator was installed by hacking and cutting ,I’m going this far I would like to know what the original radiator setup would have looked like?im sandblasting the whole engine compartment and the radiator was not correct,anyone have a cut sheet or pics that show what it would have looked like?,as always thanks for any help or input you can give

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Did they cut the core support to fit that radiator, or did they cut the hole in it wider/ taller to fit a wider/taller radiator?

3. Saff54

Hey Andy,I’ll take a picture tomorrow and send it, they cut out the two inner vertical flanges that seem must have been supporting the sides,pounded down the top flange to fit the one that’s there,bottom radiator supports are still there,I’ve gone this far I want it to at least look like it should have

4. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Probably made room for a larger radiator, which may not be a bad thing for a big block.

5. Saff54

Hey BB,sure that was the reason ,actually a decent aluminum one,although I did have an issue once with it overheating ,just looking at what they did ,it’s a total hack job,never noticed it till we pulled it to take out the motor,now it’s bothering me,looking at the auto Krafters catalog,they show 2 upper brackets that supported the top ,just wondering what it looked like

6. handy_andy_cv64

Yeah, I figure that's what they were doing, and I'm guessing it bled more air around than it passed through the core?

7. handy_andy_cv64

Hey, didn't Hillbilly share a built '67 Cyclone? I'm trying to remember if his thread showed the front end in assembly? And what about all the other former members who restored their '67s?

8. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Hang on, I'll go out and take pictures of the 67 Cyclone after supper. Just got off the mower at 8:30.

9. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

cyclone radiator 004.JPG cyclone radiator 003.JPG cyclone radiator 002.JPG cyclone radiator 001.JPG Night in a dark garage aren't good for my cheesey camera. Looks like a nice aftermarket made in USA radiator. Bottom mounts look stock but the uppers might be homebrew. I think the sides of the radiator support have been shaved to just clear the radiator tanks. I know it didn't come with a cross-flow radiator. Not sure what the fan shroud came from.

10. handy_andy_cv64

That shroud does look familiar, but I can't place it. Sure fits the radiator nicely, though. Anyway, my Motor manual starts with the '68 MY, so I'm sure the pics all are useless there.

11. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Hey Saff, if you want to take a ride and look closely at mine, you're welcome at any time. Mine currently has a small block, but is an "H" code and still retains the big block radiator.
    P.S. No smartphone or camera for posting pics, that was my daughters' job, and she moved. :(

12. Saff54

Hey Phil,thanks for the invite,might take ya up n that,took some pics of mine this afternoon 5F4568A6-013D-4795-AC14-291FC2405D83.jpeg 2FB965C6-00BE-45EE-ABEF-826BDF1BD464.jpeg 5F4568A6-013D-4795-AC14-291FC2405D83.jpeg 2FB965C6-00BE-45EE-ABEF-826BDF1BD464.jpeg

Attached Files:

13. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Yeah, you're right, it does look pretty hacked. Did the radiator cover it up pretty well? Possibly get away with some cleaner trimming and paint?
    P.S. Anytime, day or evening, up until 8 or so.

14. Saff54

Thanks,yeah the radiator did cover most of it,radiator is aluminum,having it checked out to make sure it’s ok,still would like it to look more like it would of originally though,the car had factory air which was taken out at some point which I want to eventually put back in,so thinking I should put in the condenser while I have the grille out and at least that part will be done for the far future, project keeps getting bigger and bigger....

15. Saff54

Thanks for the pics hill billy,I think I found some on eBay