76 Gran Torino Squire.

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Ed Girardin, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Ed Girardin

Ed Girardin In Second Gear

Hi, Guys. I know, we're all about Ranchero's, but- i recently saved a 76 gran torino squire from a fate worse than death- the derby. This one has the 460/ c6 combo, power everything. I know the production was about 21,000 but- how rare are these? I know this is the only one Ive ever seen in person. It is so cool. The perfect compliment to my Ranchero. I might tow the Ranchero to Woodward with it. Maybe go see Mr Ford. Seriously though- any info is welcome. Also- anyone know a good source of info or parts? this one has everything, but..... you never know. Thanks, Ed.

2. Torkair

Torkair In Maximum Overdrive

Hey there Ed, bout time you joined the forums here. Been swapping emails with you for a while! I presume it's the Gran Torino Squire wagon, right? If so you got yourself a very VERY rare bird there what with the squire option, 460, and just generally being a totally bitchn car in general. Pretty much the same parts that work for Rancheros and Torinos will work for the Squire you now have.

Later,
    Matt

3. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

THANKS FOR SAVER HER FROM THE DERBY!!!! Now how about some photos of this rare old beast! I can't even start to tell you how many good parts cars and resto projects I have seen gone the way of the demo derby.

4. Ed Girardin

Yep, It's a wagon.

Hi, Matt! Yeah, she's a wagon. Found her sitting in a front yard on old wetmore between la cholla and romero. She belonged to this family for many years. The guy I got her from remembers riding in the rear seat as a little kid. I want to reach out to the bloggers here to see if I can find a couple things- I need the plastic rear piece that all of the guages and printed circuit mounts to- this one crumbled. I believe 76 to 79 will work. Also, and I dont have much hope of finding these- I need the b-pillar trim that goes inside the car, and also the plastic rear interior panels- the Az. sun has just demolished them. Anyway- if anyone maybe has a wagon that's too far rusted, or...... I would love to hear from you. Also, Dan- It was my pleasure to know that some guy didnt get to derby this car. I understand to a degree the enjoyment they get, but all the same, seeing some of the cars they destroy, I just wanna get them in a small confined space, know what I mean? For all reading this, she is safe as long as I have her in my posession. Also- how do I post pics? I cant seem to get it right. Matt- shoot me an e-mail, I want to give you the trunk lid and hood from that elite, if you would like them. Thanks, Ed.

5. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

I may be going to a yard tomorrow and look for a bed for my truck. The last time I was there they had a 72 Wagon in the yard. This was last year so they may have crushed it. I will take a look for you. So you need B pillar trim and the large rear plastic panels in the back both sides?

6. Ed Girardin

Panels

Yes, that's right. I really appreciate the help. It blows my mind what our higher uv rays can do to anything plastic out here. Thanks!

7. Torkair

Sent an email off to you Ed, I'll post up those pics for you if you'd like. I'm also wanting to get all the Ranchero and Torino guys together that are here in Tucson some time soon.

8. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

looks like the perfect canadate for delivery sedan.....ranchero doors and b piller fill the side windows.

9. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

I didnt have a chance to go today. I should have a chance next week and will let you know.

10. Ed Girardin

I did wonder if Ford ever made a 2-door version, but I have no idea. probably not. My 14 year old niece crawled into the rear seat with her friend yesterday and declared it a "cool" car! sitting back there, getting all dusty, ....... and she loved it. I admit, guys, I got misty eyed and hopeful for the future. Since I have no kids, maybe she will carry the torch. We will see. I'm going to send some pics to Torkair so he can post them, and although I am up to my grubby shoulders in the 73 ranchero still, the wagon is going to be running by next year if funds and time allow. Dan, if you read this,- I spent an hour reading the saga of the Monchero (the name I like) last night, and I gotta say, despite incredible adversity, you pulled off a nice conversion. It looks great. That being said, I'd like mine in 79 Cougar midnight metallic blue with the belted blue and chamois buckets they used on the sport appearance group that year.......... Thanks again guys for all the help and info I get here.

11. Torkair

12. Torkair

13. Torkair

14. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Great find!

15. LUCKYJACKASS

LUCKYJACKASS SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER

Awesome find. Love the old ford wagons. Right after I bought my 72 Ranchero, I ran across a 68 Country squire wagon with a 390 in it for the same money. It made me regret buying the Ranchero, but such is life. Good luck with her. :cool:

16. Dan the ranchero man

I have a complete cluster for you of you want it. It came out of my 74 ranchero. PM me or e-mail rancherodan@comcast.net I would be happy to set you up with it! That will be a great car when done. We have a 96 Buick roadmaster estate wagon and both my kid's 14 and 18 love it. My 18 year old Daughter drives the car now and really happy to have it. It has 245,000 miles on it and we know the end is near (body rust). She wants to replace it with another old school large wagon!! (some kid's know what cool) :)

17. hawk

hawk In Fourth Gear

This is great. Save that wagon. I love 'em

18. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

I have a NOS cluster cover (the clear plastic) if the cluster you have is usable.

19. Ed Girardin

Thanks, Ribald! My cover is actually o.k, I found it in the rubble inside the car with all the screws attached. The plastic backplate, however, is the consistency of chalk. The gauges also were crumbling, but I have a spare set. Just need something to mount them to. Dan says he has one, so... here's hoping. While I'm on, I want to take a small poll. When I do this wagon- original coffee metallic brown with tan interior, or maybe red inside, white outside? or???? way too soon to decide, right? but hey, give me your thoughts, guys. Thanks again, Ed in Tucson.

20. Dan the ranchero man

Brown ext with tan int is good OR the copper bronze metallic is a nice color on a wagon. I am not big on white cars so I would not be one to do white.