79 charging problem......

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by drlance, Mar 11, 2015.

1. drlance

drlance In Fourth Gear

Thank you!!! Maybe between this and the one for my 79 I can figure out how FORD actually wired my car.

2. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Check the prefix on the 14401 harness should be a D9 part number. Anything else will tell you the year the main harness came from. Any wire loom tags that you can read can also shed some light - it does make you wonder if someone made some alterations from earlier model cars to resolve something or introduce an option not built with the car????

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That's what I had to do to accommodate the alternator relocation on mine--I had to take the alternator harness apart and replace the charge wire to go across the front of the engine. So now, the harness is not as built by the factory.

4. drlance

drlance In Fourth Gear

Finally!!! Found the problem and IT'S ALIVE!!!!!! Charging batteries once again!!!

Turns out the problem was on the circuit board on the back of the dash board!!! The plug takes the green/red and gray/yellow wires and essentially ties them together!! After checking everything I could think of, I put most of the car back together and found that I did get power to the gray/yellow at the dash panel connector, but did not get power to the green/red wire to the regulator. This is weird since the circuit board just jumpers the 2 wires together. After checking the plug, readjusting the prongs to insure they made contact with the circuit board, I finally checked the continuity of the circuit board!! There must be a crack or a break of some type on the circuit board!! No conductivity between the 2 connection points!! I then cut back in the harness, temporarily spliced the 2 wires together and checked for power.... Voila! power to the regulator 'S' terminal!
    After confirming that this was the ONLY function for those pins on the connector, I made the splice permanent, re-installed the dash and the car now runs like it should!!!

Once again I would like to thank everyone that provided help and ideas on where to look!! especially the fact that 'some' 77-79 Rancheros have 1976 dash circuit boards!!! That was the key that allowed me to finally figure out how it was wired and trace the problem to a broken trace on the circuit board!! ( I have had the dash in and out enough times I probably broke it!!)

Once again this has to be the best forum on the net!!!

Lance Sikorski (drlance)

5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

You're welcome, Doc. I always like when someone on these forums does solve a problem, whether they had help or not. I'm sure you have a big feeling of satisfaction of a particularly vexing job well done.