'93 F250 5.8 power loss

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by handy_andy_cv64, Sep 17, 2020.

1. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Okay, so Joe and I took the plunge and bought two trucks for getting a mobile repair business going. Yesterday, we made the purchase, of a '93 3/4 ton service body and a '95 3/4 ton pickup, both with 5.8 liter engines. We had to service a few things to get us to the motel last night, but today, it's been nothing but problems and have only gone about 100 miles of a 340 mile distance. After the bad TPS and burst heater hose, this truck will get up to 70, then begin to falter, just almost stalling out, until you get back down to 40-45. My theorys are the fuel filter, which is fairly new, is now clogged, or something electronic is going on with the injector drivers. The TPS threw a 122 code this morning, along with a 512 for the Keep Alive power loss (both trucks sat for several years with the batts disconnected), but except for the 512, no code is throwing for the power loss. Of course, I don't own a scan tool, so I thought I'd toss this at you guys, see if I'm on the right track or not. It doesn't feel like an ignition problem, but it is possible it could be. Like I said, though, it feels like a fuel loss. What say you?

2. Lowrider

Lowrider In Third Gear

Sounds like multiple problems. I replaced a ton of tp sensors on those vehicles back when I was still working. Never seemed to bother the drivability much though. The loss of power at 70 mph points to a fuel problem and my 1st swag would be the filter also. I would look at the fuel pump too. Replaced a bunch of those also. Was never any fun because trucks were usually dirt caked/rust buckets to work on. A noisy pump is a good indication it's going bad. One other thing that might be related to your 512 code. There is a splice in the wiring loom coming out of the firewall that used to corrode and either stop running or give intermittent problems. The splice is buried in the loom. I recall it was 3/4 yellow wires (battery feeds) in the splice. While the truck is running, grab the loom about a foot from the firewall and shake,twist and bend it to see if it cuts out. Hope this helps.

3. handy_andy_cv64

Thank you, some good insight. We're gonna change out the filter, JIC there was rust crud in the tank. The front tank is toast, it has holes under the pump, and the pump doesn't cycle. We're keeping our fingers crossed this will be the last effing problem, and we get home this afternoon. The Devil's had his crank up our tailpipes since yesterday morning, and it's been a real test of us, so please, say a few prayers that we get home.

4. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

...and you can't even get those trucks repaired? I want a business card now so I know who to call when I break down!! :p

5. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The business can be called OxyMoron Repair. Get it?

ForistellFord likes this.
  6. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Logic helps you repair the gas burner Fords, wait until you have to sort out the gotchas on the diesel trucks. Love em' but they are a pain in the rear to work on. Way more education there than I ever planned on.

7. TestDummy

I've found diesels easier, going back to the FoMoCo Tractor days. Of course, there is a lot of elbow room when working on a tractor.

8. ForistellFord

I sure think so!

9. ForistellFord

What's about your fuel pressure regulator? If it ain't the filter or a dying pump, maybe check there.

10. TestDummy

Look at his avatar. Hahahahaha.

And, Andy, get a pretty good scan tool. If you really want to do mobile repairs, that is the first took you should reach for. Luckily, a really, really, excellent one can be had for less than $400.

11. TestDummy

A good scan tool, you could read fuel pressure with.

12. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

How about a catalytic converter clogging up/coming apart? Pull the upstream O2 sensor and check the pressure.

TestDummy likes this.
  13. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

Does the 5.8L use a cam shaft synchronizer? My 2002 3.0L did the same. A cam synchronizer fixed the issue.

14. handy_andy_cv64

Okay, first, we got home 'round midnight Central Time. What it was, was the inner hose in the tank filler literally disintegrated, so the sock would collapse, reducing volume, and the engine would lose power. Had a bit of a break on a pump unit, $75 and tax, but with a $20 Autozone credit, making it $62. But getting dust, rust and those painful little burrs in your skin, lying on the ground to drop the fucking tank, then dicking with the damned deformed o-ring that unfortunately leaks every time you stop the truck. 'Pain in the potato,' as one of my high school teachers would say. But once the pump was installed, once the TPS had been replaced (in a fucking downpour, of course!), and both headlamps on the pickup going out, it was a very trying two days. Not to mention, expensive.

15. handy_andy_cv64

So we'll drop the tank again, I'll try to get the seal to sit properly, and back together, then we can inspect it, get the title transferred. The pickup has to wait, it needs a windshield. But once I sell my F150 (the S#!tbox), I'll use that money to reimburse Joe, make the truck mine.

16. TestDummy

Pics or it didn't happen, as FF would say.

17. handy_andy_cv64

Dude, I was so stressed out yesterday, I didn't even think to take any pics. All I did was cut the hose behind where the rubber was cracking. What I cut off is in a parking lot next door to the O'Really's on TX-31 in Athens, TX.

TestDummy and ForistellFord like this.
  18. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Bleepin' litterbug! :p

pmrphil likes this.
  19. handy_andy_cv64

:oops: In my defense, I was all stressed out. I wanted to be home.

20. Lowrider

Lowrider In Third Gear

That sure sounded like fun. I didn't like doing them even with a hoist.

pmrphil likes this.