A little more help, Please?

Discussion in 'Ranchero Vin Decoder/Production Numbers' started by Smile_n_Jax, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Smile_n_Jax

Smile_n_Jax Guest

I think I have a rare model of the 1970 'Cheros. From the Vin I know it's a true GT model with the 351M engine. It also has the C6 tranny. On the driver's door I found a sticker, and after careful cleaning came up with this information:

Body = 66C
    Col = M
    Trim = GF
    Axle = 6
    Trns = X
    DSO = 72

Not sure what all that means. Can someone decipher or send me to someplace where I can find out what it means? Also, is there anywhere else I can look to get more information? I'd really like to find out exactly what I have.

TIA

Jax

2. As Is '66

As Is '66 2 Wheeled Mod Staff Member

Nope,I can`t think of anyplace better than here fer Ranchero related questions and information...
    I have some information access (`72 forward) but there are folks here who have DATA plate info and th knowledge to decypher it fer ya...hang tight and someone will...

3. Smile_n_Jax

Smile_n_Jax Guest

Thanx As Is. I'm sure someone will respong.

And just where the Hell is Plains? :D

4. As Is '66

As Is '66 2 Wheeled Mod Staff Member

And just where the Hell is Plains? :D

Right Here...

5. sarah

sarah Pic Moderator Staff Member

66C = RANCHERO GT
    M = WHITE
    GF =
    6 = 3.00 GEARS NON LOCKING
    X = FMX CRUISOMATIC
    72 = is your DSO...it would be best to order a Marti Report for that information. That would be the dealership your truck was ordered from.

The GF is your trim code...that would indicate the color etc of your interior and if you had a vinyl or cloth bench or bucket seats. Thats the best I can help ya. :D ;)

6. Smile_n_Jax

Smile_n_Jax Guest

Thanx Sarah, that clears up a couple questions. I'll look into the Marti Report. Guess now I have to change my sig. :D

7. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

OK lets start here 1st you do not have a 351M engine in your car but a 351C 4V if it is original. They did not even produce a M engine until 73. If you supply the First part of the Vin number we can tell you where it was shipped. Most Ford people look down on the 351M engine even though they are decent motors.

Here is an example:

3B35Q is my Vin on my Torino and it stands for

3: 1973 Model Year B: Delivered to Oakville Ontario Canada 35: Gran Torino Sportsroof Q: with a 351 CJ engine

Assembly Plant Codes:
    A = Atlanta, GA
    B = Oakville, Ontario, Canada
    C = Ontario Truck
    D = Dallas, TX
    E = Mahwah, NJ
    F = Dearborn, MI
    G = Chicago, IL
    H = Lorain, OH
    J = Los Angeles, CA
    K = Kansas City, KS
    L = Michigan Truck
    N = Norfolk, VA
    P = Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
    R = San Jose, CA
    S = Allen Park, MI
    T = Metuchen, NJ
    U = Louisville, KY
    V = Kentucky Truck
    W = Wayne, MI
    Y = Wixom, MI
    Z = St. Louis, MO

8. Smile_n_Jax

Smile_n_Jax Guest

Ok, VIN is 0R48M. So, let's start from square one. Don't know where I got the idea it was a 351M.

9. Rancherous

Was sent to San Jose Cali. Sound Right?

10. Rancherous

Look on one of your heads and see if there is a number 4 stamped on the corner of the head above where the valve cover sits. That would most likely be the original engine as well. It was a 351C 4V from the factory.

11. CJ Guy

CJ Guy In Maximum Overdrive

OK maybe a blonde moment here, but did I miss something? It's a "rare" 70 gt? 66? 351M? 351C? Is there any realistic numbers you can provide? Do you have a pic of the truck? That may help

12. Smile_n_Jax

Smile_n_Jax Guest

Let's start from scratch and try to figure out what I've got. Think I got ahead of myself and jumped to some misinformed conclusions. The VIN is:

0R48M166776

And the info off the door sticker is:

Body = 66C
    Col = M
    Trim = GF
    Axle = 6
    Trns = X
    DSO = 72

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/fransway/Ranchero/HPIM0551.jpg

[ July 24, 2006, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: Smile_n_Jax ]

13. CJ Guy

Nice Truck,
    1970, made in San Jose
    It has or had a M code 351C-4v 290hp, a nice engine, first year for a Cleveland, you can verify that by a 4 stamped on the corners on the head AND by the date code.
    Color is white with GT trim, conventional 3.00:1 rear end and a FMX tranny andd the DSO 72 is San Jose district.
    :cool:

14. Smile_n_Jax

Smile_n_Jax Guest

Thanx for clearing that up for me CJ. Guess I don't have a "rare" model after all, but that's ok. There were only about 3900 GT's built that year, so it's rare enough. And, yes there is a "4" cast on the upper corner of the heads. Maybe now I can find some headers to fit this puppy. Got a cam and carb, just need headers to help it breathe. Should help the power and mileage, I hope. :D

15. Rancherous

Buy a 1 piece falange header. If it does not have them if you ever have to take them off and re install them it will make life easy. Headers without the falange will warp and you will need to bend them back into shape to fit Not Fun.

16. How do you tell if you have a 351 Cleveland or Modified..thanks Kim

17. sarah

sarah Pic Moderator Staff Member

73/74 I believe were the last of the Clevelands. Smogera cars were denied the likes of the Cleveland. They were replaced with the M's.

18. trikar

trikar In Maximum Overdrive

The 351 M has a taller deck than the 351 c requiring a wider intake manifold. One simple way to tell is to look where the thermostat housing is on the block, If the surface is raised about 1/4 to 1/2 inch where the housing sits it is a 351M or 400 block. If the housing surface is level with the block it is a 351 C.

19. CJ Guy

74 was the last year for US Clevelands, just got too choked up...

[ August 29, 2006, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: CJ Guy ]

20. 75 Squire

75 Squire In Maximum Overdrive

the 351M/400 engines only came from the factory with a 2bbl carburator. If you have a 351M look at converting to a 400. All you need is the crank and the pistons for a 400. You 49 more cubic inches and you also have a longer stroke on the crank meaning more torque and you need all you can get for these big cars.